Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and keeping exotic pets (aside from avian pets).

From what I've heard you can use bark from outside in your Millipedes habitat however it must be disinfected so that no parasites or other 'baddies' make your Millipede ill. The methods I have seen to disinfect them usually involve either baking it or microwaving it. I'm not too comfortable with putting wood in an oven or a microwave personally and I wouldn't be able to do it given my circumstances so are there any other potential methods I could use such as freezing for an extended amount of time and then thoroughly cleaning?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I don't have a millipede, but for my reptiles, I never disinfect or able anything from outside. Just chuck it in. Your Millipede will not catch anything bad, in fact, the micro inverts and stuff inside the wood will help to clear up waster from the millipede.

This is called Bioactive substrate, and is (finally) growing in popularity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would also be great to provide some decaying leaves for my millipede, which would be easy to get since I live next to a park and it's autumn. Would I be able to do this as well? I'd imagine it would be a good idea as it's as close as I can get to it's natural food since Britain isn't very well known for it's tropical rain forests.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It would also be great to provide some decaying leaves for my millipede, which would be easy to get since I live next to a park and it's autumn. Would I be able to do this as well? I'd imagine it would be a good idea as it's as close as I can get to it's natural food since Britain isn't very well known for it's tropical rain forests.
Yes, thats definitely possible, same rules apply about where to collect from. Its also a good way of adding springtails and other invertebrates to the substrate to aid in tank maintenance.

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I keep lots of millipede species. if you can get hold of some native leaves and some rotting white wood just put these in and they will love it.

jay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts