Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wrote a very long and detailed post in here a few days ago and it has disappeared.

I really need some advice about the frequency of the dosage of Zolcal-D for my Savannah who has started suffering with rear end/pelvic weakness due to MBD.

I don't want to give him a toxic dose but it recommends 0.1ml per 100g of animal and he is 400g.

I gave him 0.3ml last week orally and I have bought a new UV bulb (even though the other one wasn't due to be changed)

I just need to know how regularly to give him the Zolcal-D and if anyone has any other tips/advice for me?

I've started a little gentle bathing and leg strengthening physio too to buld up muscle- Is this advised?

He is around 8 years old and a beautiful energetic and outgoing boy but this has really changed him the past few weeks.

Many thanks for reading.

Desperate for help

Lily

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I have had to self-diagnose due to their being no exotic vet available in my area. He was defecating where he layed and not moving out of it which, the first time I thought was unusual but maybe a one-off (He can be lazy) but the second time I knew something wasn't right so I brought him out and examined him and was just dragging his back end along. His leg muscles are still functioning and he is still defecating and lifting his tail he just cannot support his rear weight around pelvis/tail base. He doesn't appear to have an unusual lumps/bumps or obvious injuries and his legs still kick out and move like normal and he hasn't had any falls or injuries where he may've broken something as they're never left unattended. I can only put it down to one of two things, either a dislocation/fracture resulting in nerve damage, which i'm aware he needs an X-ray for (I'm working on finding somewhere) and MBD as the under-lying concern. I have only administered one dose of the Zolcal-D and won't give him anymore until I've seen a professional or recieved some advice. I'm just concerned he will get more poorly than better if I don't do something and Covid has caused so many things to close/be unavailable.

Just as a side note: Since even one dose last week he has more movement and eaten a lot more like himself theis week. Maybe due to the new UV who knows.

Thank you

Lily

2,039 Posts
It is never advisable to self medicate - if you are concerned about your animals welfare you must seek professional help.

You don't say which country you are in but here in the UK, vet surgeries are still open - I had to have one of my animals admitted and I had to drop it off at the door, get back in my car and then someone would open the door and take the animal in - consultation was done via real time video chat.

I don't mean to sound harsh but with the best will in the world, nobody can provide any meaningful diagnosis via a reptile forum and no veterinarian worth their salt would advise on a condition or recommend medication without seeing an animal.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It`s extremely important that we have as much information on your husbandry as possible, you need to show the whole enclosure and give details of the conditions the animal is kept in. It would also be helpful if you could say which country you reside in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts