Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking to get any ackie monitor for my spare 4 x 2 x 2 viv, but seam to be struggling to find any that are suitable driving distance. This would be my first monitor but i have kept other reptiles for many years

Today i went to my local pet shop and i saw a savannah monitor (Varanus exanthematicus) which i really liked the look of.

It was about 12" long, i know these will get a lot larger but how long do you think this would be ok for in my 4 x 2 x 2 viv?

Building a larger enclosure is not a problem in the future, and what would you suggest a suitable size enclosure would be for an adult? some say 6 x 3 x 3 and other websites say 8 x 4 x 4.

How do these chaps compare to ackies apart from being larger?

Regards

·
Registered
222 Posts
8x4x4 minimum for an adult, double the size of viv you have.

They're also very different to ackies and a lot more work from what I've heard. : victory:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I agree with barlow my bro has a bosc and is easier to look after and will pretty eat everytime it is offered food where as with my ackies are fussy so and so's, to the point where the temps have to be spot on to feed and even come out if hiding. but i prefer my ackies as they have such great character

·
Registered
131 Posts
hi
Dont expect a 4x2x2 to last much longer than 6 months as they grow at a fantastic rate when young.As for the correct size viv,i say "bigger the better": victory:
They can be pretty fiesty when young (mine was) but after some time and alot of patience they eventually tame down,this isnt guarenteed though as you always get the odd 1 that wont!

mines now 9 months old,just over 2ft and is the most sopiest bugga ever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have 2 bosc monitors and would say they are very rewarding take some work but you will be very happy with the reward and although i would choose a bosc over an ackie you are looking at 2 diffrent lizards and need to look up a lot of information as they do need a lot of attention when young to make sure they are great when they are older.

My partner is not in to lizards and goes no where near them but there was a choice between an ackie or a bosc and she chose a bosc as she preffered the look but it is mostly about what lizard would fit your life look forward to seeing how you decide

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i manager to find 2 baby ackies which i have ordered and are being couriered.

Should be here around 23rd Jan. :2thumb:

So now got to start organising there tank

I am planning on going for a walk through the woods at the weekend to see what wood i can find to make there enclosure nice. Theres no way i am paying pet shop prices for cork bark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts