Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm thinking about getting one of these lizards, but i don't know which one to choose.. Which one would u guys recommend?

I have a lot of space and money is not a problem.. In addition i have a cornsnake and a leopardlizard..

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
well I haven't got a clue what would be better for you but I have a soft spot for Iguanas, I have been thinking about getting one but my landlord would have a fit! :D
and like you said you have not got a space problem cause both will need a big viv, I have owned both I personally just love iguanas.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Id go and have a look and hold of a couple of adults and see which suits you better. Our savannah is pretty tame but still isnt to be trusted. :) to be honest i hate him :lol: but he belongs to my daughter so I have to put up with him until she leaves home, mind you hes alot easier to live with than her lol

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
littlelinnnies said:
well I haven't got a clue what would be better for you but I have a soft spot for Iguanas, I have been thinking about getting one but my landlord would have a fit! :D
and like you said you have not got a space problem cause both will need a big viv, I have owned both I personally just love iguanas.

of course I don't know weather you have owned one of these animals before but you did mention having other reptiles as Iguanas need a lot of looking after more than a bosc monitor i say, and Iguanas can be more aggrestive when you first buy then unless you are going for adults, if thats any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe

lol..

thanks for the answer.. i think i might go for the monitor.. i think they might be better to take care of.. :D i just have to wait and see.. i'm going to denmark soon and are planning to buy the one that "calls" for me the most..

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
tombraider said:
Id go and have a look and hold of a couple of adults and see which suits you better. Our savannah is pretty tame but still isnt to be trusted. :) to be honest i hate him :lol: but he belongs to my daughter so I have to put up with him until she leaves home, mind you hes alot easier to live with than her lol

I know tell me about it my fiance has got his heart set on one but I am not keen! :lol:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Re: hehe

jodyk said:
lol..

thanks for the answer.. i think i might go for the monitor.. i think they might be better to take care of.. :D i just have to wait and see.. i'm going to denmark soon and are planning to buy the one that "calls" for me the most..

lol, well I haven't a clue weather your talking to me , but I take the credit anyway thanks! :rotfl:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

littlelinnnies said:
jodyk said:
lol..

lol, well I haven't a clue weather your talking to me , but I take the credit anyway thanks! :rotfl:
i was talking to all.. hehe thanks for the answers.. hehe.. and good luck with ur fiancee.. hehe..

·
Registered
3,103 Posts

jodyk said:
littlelinnnies said:
jodyk said:
lol..

i was talking to all.. hehe thanks for the answers.. hehe.. and good luck with ur fiancee.. hehe..

lol,I know I am just a little silly sometime! oh thanks yeah I am going to need it lol! :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i would think boscs are easier to take care of but probably will take longer to tame down. Dons a nightmare at the minute, havent had much time for handling him and his nails have got really long an its really putting me off him. I'd think iguanas aren't as strong as a bosc but then ive never had chance to hold a full grown iggy. My year old bosc is a bit strong and a real handful when he wants to be.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
its mainly the glaws on a iguana we found to be a problem ours we had was very tame he loved being stroked on his head he was five but he did like to wip his tail sometimes and that can hurt too, my fiance was biten on the chin by a one year old iguana and he said it was the must painful bite he has recieved, I think iguanas can be fairly strong but not as strong as a bosc, altho I have heard you can teach a bosc to come to its name if you teach to.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i dont think Don will ever come to his name, if i remember rightly from what i read of a zoo's research they don't have particularly brilliant hearing, their strongest senses are smell and sight. Boscs can struggle to hear high and deep pitches i believe. Dons a sweetheart but he been hardwork recently.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
oh right lol, it was my fiance who told me that I bet he was winding me up or something lol or I am just crazy and made it up heehe :crazy: :crazy:

maybe you should give it a try and see if you can get him to do it, at least you'll look funny trying and he'll prob think your mad lol :lol:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Blazey, You can clip your Don's nails with nail clippers, i did with my bosc, as he weren't using his rock much, so his nails weren't keeping filled, if you look closly you can see a black vessel at the top of there nail, the bit which looks like it doesn't is ok to cut, i literaly cut the sharp tips of, i wasn't botherd by the length, as they weren't long, i just sniped the tips, which were sharp, it wasn't a task at all :D

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Tricky one we have both here 3 greens and 2 boscs and all have their little quirks. Its alot of luck as well if im honest boscs and greens alike all have different temperments our 3 greens go on a scale i have one female shes a complete softie and will let you do anything to her, our male gibbers is the inbetweeny hes a sweetheart but has his moments and will shoo the others off their basking spots if he wants it himself, now our last is katie shes also our oldest and newest, she doesnt like to be touched, was worse when we first got her it took alot of time and patience but now all she does is head bob and shake when we try to move her or pick her up.

The boscs again from one end to the other i have a female thats a little lamb she again will let me do anything with her but i do have to watch my toes when i go into their room as i could end up with a bosc attached to one, the male is a typical bosc he hisses puffs and occasionally will attempt to bite me although Fixx has no trouble with him.

I know people with iguanas that are lovely and will actually approach them and sit on their knee but i also know people that have iguanas that bite whip and are just nasty (a few were because of a previous home iguanas are very inteligent and never forget) I also know people with boscs that go from one scale to another.

I recommend what someone else has already said go and visit a few people with one or the other or both and see what you think when you see them in their homes with their owners

Im not trying to put you off honest i have just realised how negative my post look sorry

(our boscs freeroam the viv room and our iguanas free roam the front room)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
id have to say an iggy as i really like them.
if you egt one from a baby they are easy to tame aslong as you have the time.
i no your going to buy 1 but there are hundreds out there just dying for a nice home from rescue centers as people dont understand or care for them properly and normaly they are tame as the great rescue people tame them
but whatever you do pick good luck with it!!!
manda xx

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
lol anthony, i know how to clip nails but try getting don to stay still long enough. :lol:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hmm.
Well, we have a bosc now and to be absolutely honest...savvy doesnt like me... and im not overly fond of her.
Never met or had an iguana I didnt adore though.
Iguanas certainely aint as scary, i think they tame easier, they get bigger.. both species are gorgeous, and good feeders altho i think the iguana is easier to keep in good shape by the rants ive heard about how careful you have to be to not overfeed a bosc [savanah]
Id go for the iguana mate.

Dean

1 - 20 of 21 Posts