Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a nearly 3 year old Carolina corn snake. I think he’s male but I’m not sure. I had him out for some handling and to clean his tank, and noticed 3 scab type things. One on his tail, under his cloaca and two on the underside of his stomach. I’m attaching some pictures but they aren’t the best. I’ll do my best to get better ones if needed. The one on his tail seems to be the worst.
As for behaviour, the last couple of weeks he’s been more active than usual which has been nice to see. We recently moved house a couple months ago and I think he was a little stressed. I’ve also got cats so he doesn’t like to come out as often as he used to, even when they are locked away (they’ve never touched him so the scabs are definitely not from them). Hes normally very good with his feeding, but he’s missed a couple of feeds (including this week) which I’ve put down to the stress of the move and also a change in where I get his mice from (I can’t go to the old supplier as it is in a different city from where I live). He’s fed on frozen mice so it’s not an injury he’s picked up from prey.
But he’s mostly seemed normal to be fair. His heat mat is on a thermostat set to 27, as it always has since he’s always most comfortable in the winter at this setting.
I had him out less than two weeks ago and didn’t notice any skin blemishes.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I’d hate to think it’s anything sinister! Thanks in advance guys!!

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
Whilst the thermostat is set to 27c, what is the actual temperature of the mat? I would suggest you contact a vet to have the wounds looked at. provide them with as much detail as you can so they can rule out any environmental issues.

A 3 year old male will go off food around this time as it's breeding season, so he's hormones may have kicked in, plus the stress of the move.

There are some excellent guides in the form of sticky post at the top of the snake section, worth having a read. But your priority would be to see professional veterinary advice over the marks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.