Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Well one of my royals was just about to shed, so i put some moist moss in it's hide, for about a day or two, then took it out as it had shed, well basicaly i have noticed its belly went alittle pink the other dayy, so kept an eye on it, now it has started to go, quite bad :(
Is there anything i can do, or shall i take it to the vet, what i mean basicaly is there anything i can do in the mean time :?:

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
what do you mean by pink? If its turning brown and blistering there is not much you can do except the vets ASAP. My Royals bellys went pink when they were coming upo to shed if i remember rightly.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
you could reduce humidity to minimum and keep the viv spotless. If it is scale rot i.e. necrotic dermatitis it can get hold pretty quick. A vet should prescribe antibiotic ointment to apply regularly. raising the temps may also help.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I mean it can get worse very quick and cause all sorts of other problems. Worst of all is an early departure to snake heaven! It couls also be other things though do you have a picture?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Good move putting her on newspaper. Change it often though - at least every other day, preferably every day if she's got it quite bad.

Also, give her a smaller water bowl - one that she can't get in. Even if she doesn't normally soak, she may be a bit uncomfortable at the moment and give it a go which wouldn't do her a lot of good.

I had this with garter a few years ago and it's not nice. Took a few weeks to go, and then quite a few sheds before the belly scales were back to normal.

Hope she gets better soon!

·
Registered
597 Posts
i used this from a different forums, it clears my guys scale rot up perfectly

Neosporin, Polysporin, or any Triple
antibiotic ointment that does not incorporate Lidocaine or any pain medicine is very
effective in clearing this up. Remove all substrate and clean or keep the infected
snake in a secure plastic storage container with air holes and a water bowl large enough
to drink from but too small to soak in while treating. It is normal for no apparent
improvement to be noticed until the next shed. But, any skin irritation such as this
will cause a snake to go into a shed cycle, sometimes even back to back sheds until it all
clears up. Keep rubbing Neosporin on the bad scales twice a day and make sure the
snake is clean and dry. Or...if you can get it, SILVER SULFADIAZINE aka Silvadene cream is the best broad spectrum anibiotic ointment on the market but it required a prescription. Being allowed to burrow or crawl through any substrate at
this time is a bad idea. There is no way any Neosporin or whatever will remain on the snake's
belly and there is no way to keep it clean. This is why it is important to place the
animal in a substrate free enclosure during treatment. If at any time redness
spreads out over a larger area than where the infected scales are or if any puss oozes
from the wounds, or it continues to get worse, a trip to the vet will be necessary.
At this point the infection could very well become septic. Septicemia (blood
poisoning) will quickly spread to multiple vital organs and kill the animal in as little
as six weeks so a series of antibiotic injections will be needed.

·
Registered
991 Posts
just take to vets mate, could be some kind of (dunno how to spell it!!) scepticemea??

I bought a boa a few weeks ago already infected and it looked exactly as you describe. can be treated though. (dont be scared off by this but so far our vets bill for this is over £250 and we are still going) remember the snake is worth it though :D I know you will :D

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
unlucky mate like i said it can take hold pretty quick. You gonna have a post morten done? It might be worth it any number of things could of caused that you dont want it spreading to your other royals.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I think its £30-40 quid or something I dont know. I know there is a guy at the Liverpool School of Vets or whatever its called who does them on reptiles for free but it wouild mean freezing her and sending her through the post. Any reptile vet should offer the service though. Scale rot can be caused by all sorts of things fugus, bacteria, virus etc it could spread i reckon if your not careful.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
sorry to hear that

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Surely one or two days in a moist hide wouldnt cause scale rot???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.