Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
iv not lubed up any of my snakes but from what I know if you put oil on whilst there still wet it seals the water underneath and can cause skin disease

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
Yeah they can, check for a thread by freekygeeky, one of her snakes got it from oil.

Use a mite treatment for mites instead of oil :)

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
jen, if you arent having any luck with frontline, you need to order a load of hypoaspis mites. these predatory mites make short work of snake mites and simply die off when their food supply is exhausted.

and they are VERY good at clearing mites, if anyone on here tries to argue the toss on this..... they are quite simply wrong.

but there's always someone who likes to be heard on these forums eh?

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the bci viv upstairs, and have cleaned it with frontline once a week now, for 3 weeks, and havnt seen a mite there, have treated carpets etc... I am keeping bci downstairs in a big tub, she has had insect sprey on, then a week later an extra virgin olive oil soak evey few days, and have seen no more mites.

Im gona give the vivs a wipe over with hot soapy water and put her back in today.

But if the mites did come back id defo be getting some defenders.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
equally they would have been sorted quickly if you had just used frontline and water exclusively.

Dave is right, the natural solution does work well. it's worked absolutely fine with us in then past.

I personally will NEVER recommend anyone put oil on a snake.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
alright, kind of hijacking a tad here, but there are some around (and not saying they are in this thread) who have in the past told me oil is fine, but recently have been saying to never use it, oil is bad.

WHAZGAAANON?

...just a tad confuzzled.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Best quality Olive oil you can afford, not supermarket crap veg oil, change the paper daily and you'll be right : victory:

Or just use frontline :lol2:

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
i've also seen it do some pretty masty things like dehydration and causing bad sheds.
Aye it should never be used to just to treat the snake and shove it back in the viv, it may not be a chemical but due care and attention are needed as always or it could cause problems.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
i have used oil and i have used frontline...frontline wins hands down as it is easier to apply and use and a hellofalot less messier

just make sure you dont pull a repeated "me" and accidently spray yourself in the eyes with the said frontline...its bloody agony...like effing pepperspray:no1:

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
equally they would have been sorted quickly if you had just used frontline and water exclusively.

Dave is right, the natural solution does work well. it's worked absolutely fine with us in then past.

I personally will NEVER recommend anyone put oil on a snake.
Same here, I would never advocate the use of oil.

Try Frontline if that doesn't work try defender mites, a mate picked some stuff up at Hamm which works amazingly well, I will get the name of it and post it up later.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
hahaha

It also tastes flipping rank too!
yep got a couple of squirts in the mouth too (dirty...eww)

Same here, I would never advocate the use of oil.

Try Frontline if that doesn't work try defender mites, a mate picked some stuff up at Hamm which works amazingly well, I will get the name of it and post it up later.
oil DOES work though its just not practical...especially if you have multiple animals like many of us do. the more efficient and easiest way imo is frontline...though atm i have preventative mite bird tray thingies fixed on the outside of all vivs (that i got when i was back in the states) that seem to be working a treat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts