Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I haven't been on here for a while, and something has popped up that the experts on here need to help answer for me :2thumb:

My pine snake Memphis has recently decided that his water bowl has offended him for whatever reason and keeps tipping it over by burrowing under it then lifting himself up. I have cleaned him out about 5 times this month trying to keep his viv dry but he wasnt impressed and has now caused himself some scale discolouration. Just wanted you guys to tell me what this is if you can please and the best way too treat it, I don't have a reptile vet nearby just a normal vet with an "interest" in snakes so until I can get him to the reptile vet just wanted to know if this is scale rot and what home remedies I can use to try and clear it up.

Many thanks
Kerrie

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi Kerrie

Do you have a reptile shop nearby you could take him to? I don't know much about scale rot I'm afraid.

Have you got "non-tippable" bowls?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If you have a search of the forum there are a few threads which suggest home remedies, i would find one for you but on my phone. I cant suggest anything myself cause never dealt with it myself.

In the meantime try using a heavy water bowel with a flat base so the snake cant burrow under it. Thats how i stopped my corn snake doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
First off, if you are worried, it gets worse or doesn't heal then take it to a vet.

If you choose not to, or whilst waiting to go, there are several things you can do. Firstly change the substrate to paper towel or newspaper and change it daily. As scale rot is a caused by a combination of high humidity and bacteria or other infectious agents getting in through the layer of scales, the enclosure needs to be kept extra clean. If the snake continues knocking the bowl over, get a heavier bowl or put some rocks in the bowl so it can't be knocked over. I have even taken the bowls out altogether when treating scale rot and just given the snake access to water for a short period each day.

Clean the ventral scales daily with something like well diluted Savlon antiseptic, however ensure you do not use Dettol which contains pine oil and is toxic to snakes. You can do this by using a piece of paper towel, or by bathing the snake in the solution for a short period. Alternatively use could use salt water.

Then I spray iodine, or a product containing it such as Savlon dry antiseptic spray on the snake in the areas where the infection is occurring.

This is normally enough to encourage the scales to heal and stop the infection. As long as the enclosure is kept clean and dry, then scale rot is generally self limiting I find.

Sometimes I add Manuka honey on top of the iodine, which not only promotes healing, but it also acts as a barrier that prevents further contamination of the wounds. However it is sticky and will get dirty if substrate other than paper is used.

See these threads for some more information:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snake-care-sheets/543107-dealing-belly-rot-especially-uk.html

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/481637-wanna-treat-snake-oh-honey.html

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, he is on newspaper at the moment so he can't burrow underneath his water bowl. I was going to buy some manuka honey and mix it with aloe vera gel and apply that daily until he sheds. What stuff can you buy that you can dilute to bath the snake in??
Thanks for the help
Many thanks
Kerrie

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
Great advice from Jack W. I can also recommend wiping the affected area with a very diluted concentration of F10 disinfectant. (2ml:1000ml) to kill of any nasty bacteria/fungus etc. It will do absolutely NO harm if it is not scale rot, you'll just have a very clean snake ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts