Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have recently got a juvenile leoaprd gecko. For the first week i just let him settle down and get used to his new house :smile:. But now it has been two weeks and everytime i even go even near his house he just darts right back into the hide box. I don't really evemn have a chance to show him i'm nice. Any tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
all my leos do that I thought it was normal....

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
give him time and build up trust by hand feeding inside the viv,it will take time and patience,put your hand in daily where he can see it but dont touch him,let him realise your not a threat then keep putting your hand nearer,if theres a certain food he really likes next step is to lay it near your hands then on your hand etc,with time he should climb up and feed,after that he should be more trusting of you and you can slowly pick him up in the viv,dont take him out of it for a few days just hold him inside the viv then eventually youll be able to lift him out.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
my leo did that for like a month after I got him. They come around tho, they get use to you being there!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
most leos will.your one of the first thing its seen so it thinks your a preditor to it..you need to go into the viv on a regular basis and take the hide out for a bit.then it cant run back in.after a while-months- it will get used to you and learn not to be so afraid.then you can start trying to handle it and in time it will come to you.all my leos have been like that and i picked them up weather or not they wanted me to or not.now every single on comes to me for me to pick them up so anyone can do it.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
if its a hide with a base..[floor] then you can assuming he seems settled once hiding, bring the hide out of the viv, or just turn it round or whatever so that you can see him at eye leven and have a little chat [id advise bringing it slowly out and sittin it on the viv] dont go in the hide or anything, just let him see yuh, he will prolly stick his head out, this repeated every couple days should help build his confidents with you.
dont get him out of the hide though or the hide wont offer him security anymore.
Even if you move the hide as i sugested... he will still feel safe in it as long as you dont remove him or poke him etc whilst in there.

You might find he will walk out on your hand or take a bug from tongs whilst in there also.

Our leos dont run from us [just saying cos a coupel ppl said all theres do]

only if they arent in the mood for us will they slowly go and tuck themselves out of the way given us a little lick as they trod past our hands lol

Edit.
Didnt read any replies in detail and see the taking the hide out has already been sugested above.
I have those resin straws and oranges..great thing with those is they have the little stalk on top that works as a easy grip handle lol wicked.

·
Registered
572 Posts
its not jus leos. most baby lizards ive ever cum across have always had that "he's gonna eat me" complex. the same with any animal u jus have 2 build trust

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yes but leos... are less liekly to then dart again when you lift the hide up... a scared swift/fence lizard etc will bounce of the walls lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
most small animals will dart for home even my scorps do it. all bar one of my leo's do it the only one that doesn't insist's upon trying to bite my fingers...... and trying to escape.

·
Registered
572 Posts
lol i get paranoid holdin leos that r a bit jumpy case they jumped n i accidently got hold of there tails or summin

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
some do take to it better my normal is by far the easiest to handle. and the others i wont try in case i break the tail as there higher end morph's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts