Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am getting more and more interested in scorpions and was wondering if anyone could piont me in the right direction for a good beginer scorp.
I know of the Emperor Scorp and have seen them in my local exotic shop for £15, are there any other scorps that are good for a starter species, and can you point me in the right direction of some good sites for care sheets and suppliers.
Oh and does anyone know of a magic voodoo chant that will make my partner even consider a scorpion in the house, even though she loves Tarantula's.lol
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Get a camel spider first.

Wait a few weeks until she is attached to it and then break the news it is actually a scorpion, that way she will HAVE to re-evaluate her thinking :lol2:

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hi apart from the imperial youve got the flat rock, the red claw which is also a pandinus species and some of the hetrometrus species aswell like the malaysian forest scorpion, which look a lot like the imperial.

Try this link where most of the care sheets are written by john fouskaris
Caresheets : Scorpions - petbugs.com

Hetrometrus spinifer (forest scorpion) are a little more aggressive than the flat rock and the imperial and the red claw can also be known to be very generous with its claw when pinching if you get what i mean.

As for the mrs, get her to see some, a lot of stores will actually get an imperial out, i must admit i can see why some people fear them more than a tarantula, but i know she will get to like them and as with spiders she will become hooked.

Below is the Asian forest scorpion, you can see why they get mixed up with the imperial

Below is the flat rock scorpion

and also the red claw which IMO is a gorgeous looking scorp

Below are 2 of mine the imperial and the desert hairy, the latter being quite an aggressive scorp in comparison to the imperial

Reactions: Andy

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, good link, the mrs has seen some imperials and flat rock scorps in the shop, she wont go near them, I had the tub in my hand today to show her and she wouldnt get closer than three feet, even with the tub closed, she has an irrational fear of earwigs and scorps remind her of them, I think I will either have to build and insulate a new shed or give up the idea of scorps....

......I guess i'll be building a shed as well as a new rack for my reps, ahhwell.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a camel spider first.

Wait a few weeks until she is attached to it and then break the news it is actually a scorpion, that way she will HAVE to re-evaluate her thinking :lol2:
I just googled a camel spider, she wouldnt have that even if she thought it was a spider, but then neither would I, horrible looking thing, and you should see some of the bite wounds they leave.:sick:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nice, whats the average lifespan of scorps, none of the caresheets online mention it, do females live longer like Tarantula's?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
man i hate earwigs but thats where it ends really, can see the other halfs point though, good luck with the outside shed

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
i dont like earwigs since when we wer ein ireland, wheniopened a bottle of old ketchup hudreds of earwigs shot out of the tops and went all over me the room, and my food.. we left thta night as there were earwigs everywhere, i dont like htem asmuch anymore, tell that to yourt mrs! i like scorpians, it sjusy that i am afraid of beig stung, though i would love to watch tarantulas just i couldnt hold one.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
get one then, im sure theyll happily live their lives without you holding them, most will prefer it that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts