Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beardie has started scratching the sliding glass doors of his viv in the mornings, is this because he wants to get out and have a mooch about? It only ever seems to be weekends when I'm at home when he does it. Does any one elsese beardie do this? Also, quite ofen when he is out, I have mirrored sliding doors on my wardrobe, which he will run back and forth in front of, with his nose up against the glass and his tail up in a curve, almost as if he is trying to get at his reflection! Is he lonely and wants a mate, or does he think it's another male that he wants to fight???

·
Registered
54 Posts
its normal, i have two bd's and they both do it. i can mean im hungry feed me, to i want to come out for a cuddle. in some situations it may be because the other one is feeling threatened and wants to get out. but alot of the time they just want a look around. bd's are very nosey lizzards. :wink:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
the tai being curved isn't a sign of wanting to fight, but proves that hes alert and healthy. But yeh he could see it as another male and he might be getting a bit territorial over it.

Its perfectly normal for beardies to act the"window washing" technioque, mine does it all the time, especially when i'm around for a extended period of time. Yours probably just wants to explore and look around, and perhaps feels more comfortable because your around as you've already said.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yea! hte same happens all the time to me, but i cant let my bd out on the floor cause he runs away,
Joe

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ours only patroils the glass when he wants to take a dump! he has this routine of running backwards and forwards first, it's as if he wants to do it out of his viv because it smells so bad!

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
thats exactly what both ours but mainly [like routinely] drago used to do.. run around..look at us..back and forth at the front...jump up puttin hands on glass..down again...move..stop....shit...back to bask.
Almost got caught out a few times as the behaviour when he actually wanted to come out was so similar.

I think our beardies miss being in our lounge..think that may be why they hgavent seemed so happy the past 2.5months even though they have had a viv 6 times the size of the last...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, I did wander if this was the case, the viv has plenty of room, and has loads of sand blasted wood, plants etc in there to keep him occupied. I have to admit I do spoil him a lot my letting him out to mooch around, although I keep my eye on him, and I'm forever running around after him,when he suddenly gets the idea that the next room is much more interesting, so his tail goes up and he accelerates off at 100mph! (i do exaggerate)!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine does this most of the time after a feed in the morning, so I quickly denoted it was his distress at the thought of another smelly poo invading his viv!:lol2:

He patrols back and forward and then stands very tall, lifts one lef then the bomb drops, literally, then he scratches to get out / hides under his basking area from the smell.

Poor me to have to clean it up, I need a better gag reflex!:censor:

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
i must admit mines not like that? he'll just sit there. when he come out it's from us taking him out. he will run about on the floor, but most of the time he puts him self back in? can i do any thing about that? or is it just him?

saying about dumping, he was out yesterday morning having a run round (out of his choice?) and dumpted behind the fish tank, my OH wasn't happy. lol

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ours only patroils the glass when he wants to take a dump! he has this routine of running backwards and forwards first, it's as if he wants to do it out of his viv because it smells so bad!
mine's the same, not surprised he wants to get away from that stink!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts