Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a little banana blizzard leo that is about 4 weeks old. She is really grumpy and hisses and screams at me whenever I feed her/go near her/clean her viv.

Is there anything I can do to get her to calm down? I don't want to stress her out but at the same time it is driving me nuts.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Most of our babies scream at us they even scream at the crickets when you say "viv" what size do you have her in?
To be honest she will prob clam down as she gets older and gets used to being handled

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I couldn't really describe the noise, all I can say about it is that it is horrible coming from a creature so small.

She makes herself look all big (which is silly because she is tiny) and opens her mouth really wide and goes 'aaarrrrggggggggggggggggggggh' and doesn't stop until I go away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of our babies scream at us they even scream at the crickets when you say "viv" what size do you have her in?
To be honest she will prob clam down as she gets older and gets used to being handled
She is currently in a viv that's 1ft x 1ft x 1.5ft (1.5ft being the length). She seems okay in there at the moment. I will move her as she grows. My others are in either 3ft or 2ft long vivs.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Baby leos do tend to be very vocal and her reaction is largely down to fear. Your hand/face is much bigger than she is, and it's just a scared reaction.

Give her time to get used to you. I bought two babies in June, and they were soooooooo skittish, and one of them lunged and screeched at me when she felt threatened by my hand being in her viv. I actually jumped back in shock the first time she did it, so her defence mechanism definitely worked!!

All you need is a little time and patience - my little babies are now the most amazingly friendly little leos ever, and practically take it in turns begging for my attention when I get home each day!! So cute!

Just let her get used to, that's all. Let a little time pass, let her learn that you aren't a threat, and you'll hopefully have friendly little lady who wants you to pick her up each day.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
a lot of young leo hatchlings do it, it just stops given time and normal keeper/herp interactions.

I think they are funny when they are like that. :)

It won't do it for long.

Mason

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
That seems quite large for a small baby we have ours in tubs at that age and they do great. im not saying that she wont do great but tiny little leo in big open space large hand comes down in front of her lol i think id scream too :)

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
I have never heard moz make any noise yet i have not tryed handling him yet still leaving him to settle in for another week or two but he lets me give him a little rub on the head somtimes:no1: so do they only make noise if there scared or do they also make noise if they are happy?

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Leos normally only make noise when they are scared or trying to warn something off its a defense thing its a screechy noise and not very nice makes you jump lol
although ours make other noises at times not sure why though lol

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Thanks its nice to know moz is not to scared of me then:no1:is it a loud noise and do you know of any links of one barking i would love to hear the sound they make just not from mine cos that will mean his scared.:)

·
Banned
9,373 Posts
Prehaps the vivarium is WAY to big for a 4 week old leo think about it. If you were place in the middle of no where and didnt have any human interaction and you had sooooo much space how would you feel. Shes just stress and scared down size her into a smaller enclosure.

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Erm nope ive heard our leos bark well if thats what its called but never heard it over the net lol

·
Banned
9,373 Posts
A 4 week old baby should be housed in a tub. You will notice a change within a couple of days let her chillaxe and she should be fine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
When i first got my albino it was exactly the same.

When i came to take him out (dex) i used to pick him up with a ruler and place him in my hand, after a while he got used to it and stopped.

Sometimes, if i wake him up, or he is relaxing, if i try to pick him up he will hiss. He has only did that once recently, and he was shedding.

My other leo, also called "Leo" is different, i dont handled him yet, to young, but when i do have to get him out to clean the tank, he is so calm, totally different to the albino.

Only time i herd a gecko make a noise is when i was trying to sex "dex", i had to try and get him into a position to take a photo and i think he was getting stressed and was grunting.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
That seems quite large for a small baby we have ours in tubs at that age and they do great. im not saying that she wont do great but tiny little leo in big open space large hand comes down in front of her lol i think id scream too :)
Provide plenty of hiding spaces if you're not doing so already to make her feel more secure

·
Banned
9,373 Posts
Provide plenty of hiding spaces if you're not doing so already to make her feel more secure
Thats alright but if a hatchling leopard gecko is in such a large vivarium its going to have trouble not just with stress but with feeding. My advice is down size to a tub and has the leo grows increase the size.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts