Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone in the UK breed this species i am considering one but only want a uk bred hatchling that i can tame from young. Also does anyone know the clutch size for these beautiful snakes and are they as untameable as some say Cheers for the replies Rick

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I've never met a friendly one. but whats the point in a friendly morelia? its like having a ferrari with a moped engine.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
I've only seen a couple up close and neither were friendly.

I would like a bar-necked though!:no1:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love morelia apart from BRBs im only keeping morelia from now on im trying to get some paul harris JCPs not havin much luck. But scrubs get big are they really hard to tame i want something bigger but with a small clutch size so i can still breed them suggestions?

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
Dunno about clutch sizes but how abut diamond pythons? You'd need a fair bit of dough for a pair but it'd be worth it!

·
Registered
878 Posts
What kind of scrub are you looking for?

I know of a clutch of barnecks from outstanding parents, I have a female on the way from it. Or, there may be some CB Southerns about next year or the year after.

Scrubs have a small clutch size relative to the size of the mother, but can get very big. Between 9 and 15 foot for Southerns and Barnecks, though smaller for Nauta (there is a European breeder who has a nice clutch of patternless ones for a very reasonable price). But I don't think you could ever "tame" one, they are quite a primordial species ...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not till next year im planning to buy hatchlings of the large snakes i want to breed id love some diamonds but student status doesnt help your wallet. I think id rather get some of the more sort after snakes. I was thinkin of a burm or retic but worried that when i breed them in the future ill have loads of potential monster sized snakes i cant even give away. Next on the list is white lips should be able to get some this week.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
Its not till next year im planning to buy hatchlings of the large snakes i want to breed id love some diamonds but student status doesnt help your wallet. I think id rather get some of the more sort after snakes. I was thinkin of a burm or retic but worried that when i breed them in the future ill have loads of potential monster sized snakes i cant even give away. Next on the list is white lips should be able to get some this week.
Breeding large snakes is not something you're gonna profit from TBH. Especially when it comes to burms/retics etc (except for the dwarfs). I'd see scrubs in the same light. I don't know many people who keep them. White lips are great that'd be a good one to breed. There's always the Savu Island python!

That aside scrubs are fantastic looking snakes and if you're prepared to work with (or against lol) them then it's gonna improve you as a keeper and be joyful no doubt:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont want to make money really just want to breed as a challenge. If i did breed id only sell to cover costs and use the money to put back into the hobby id love a retic my favourite snake but its such a specialized snake its kinda irrisposible snake to breed imo. Thats why im looking for a large snake i can still breed and then sell a small clutch to others like me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you want the snakes for - if its for making some cash, steer well clear of scrubs. Whilst they seem to be gaining in popularity (and rightly so) I don't think there will ever be a "market" for snakes with their reputation (and inch long teeth which they're not averse to using). Plus you can't really breed females until at least ive years of age - the same goes for diamonds. Scrubs are a labour of love, you have to be truly fascinated by them, and as prepared as possible before committing to keep them

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
I dont want to make money really just want to breed as a challenge. If i did breed id only sell to cover costs and use the money to put back into the hobby id love a retic my favourite snake but its such a specialized snake its kinda irrisposible snake to breed imo. Thats why im looking for a large snake i can still breed and then sell a small clutch to others like me.
It's a responsible attitude to take:) Though as you say it's kinda irresponsible o breed retics it's better they are available CB than taken from the wild. I'd like to do a one-off breeding with mine personally but we'll see. If retics are your fav. have you considered Jampea's? They are gaining in poularity, are big but not TOO big etc.

If that's the sort of thing you're looking for then scrubs may be a good option for you. What type were you after?

Sorry too keep steering things off-topic here btw.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No its fine i cant get enough of talking about snakes, i have thought about jamps but my mate says retics need ALOT of cleaning out. tbh i want to concentrate my efforts on just a few species so i can gain more experiance. I have had a year and a half now of keeping different snakes and the best and most facinating by far has been owning morelia i dont mind getting bitten i jast want to learn more and i really want to get the satifaction of breeding my snakes. My plan is to breed BRB(epicrates i know but beautifull) and then WLP JCP GTP and maybe scrubs im only thinking about it i might get a retic and just not breed it still no answer on the clutch size anyone?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm a bit confused - sounds like scrubs might be right for you, but I would say it would be harder to sell young scrubs than retics - they get pretty big, can be a handful, and are not in high demand.

RE the clutch size, it depends on what kind of scrub you are after. As you are looking for CB your options are only really Sorong Barnecks, Southerns (sometimes called Meraukes), and Nautas (take a look at MORELIASNAKE.COM - Morelia nauta and Morelia amethistina - captive breed). My books are still in storage, so I can't give you accurate answers, but I know of clutches with between 17 - 24 eggs from Barnecks, but the ones mine is coming from was from 13 (the dam was only 5 years old).

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
No its fine i cant get enough of talking about snakes, i have thought about jamps but my mate says retics need ALOT of cleaning out. tbh i want to concentrate my efforts on just a few species so i can gain more experiance. I have had a year and a half now of keeping different snakes and the best and most facinating by far has been owning morelia i dont mind getting bitten i jast want to learn more and i really want to get the satifaction of breeding my snakes. My plan is to breed BRB(epicrates i know but beautifull) and then WLP JCP GTP and maybe scrubs im only thinking about it i might get a retic and just not breed it still no answer on the clutch size anyone?
All big snakes do TBH, when they go they go. Properly pee along with the urates etc also but easily kept clean when you're keeping them on newspaper anyhow. I've just been looking at pics (googling for clutch sizes unsuccessfully).......this thread is making me want a barneck even more now: victory:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive been on that forum some nice ones in the states its only a thought especially after the inch long teeth though lol. Srubs are long but do they still get thick like burms and retics the vivs will be 6ft by 2 w 3 high. Im collecting breeding groups of JCPs BRBs and WLPs to breed in say 3 years when ive got a full time job after uni so its not for a long time atm just looking into one or two species i dont know much about to see which i want to work with in the future

·
Registered
878 Posts
3 months seems a long time to wait for a hatchling! You've chosen the nicest looking of the scrubs IMO:no1:

Any idea what type the monstrous 28fter was?

Scrub Python or Anethsyine Python - Morelia amethysina

I remember hearing about it years ago.
That's a little misleading - it would've been a Morelia Kinghorni - the Aussie Scrub which is has been given full species status and is not available out of Oz (unless you've got someone who is willing to risk customs and shove one down their shirt for a 24hour flight :lol2:). You aren't really going to get 15+foot Scrubs over here, though I'm sure there may be the odd freak!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts