Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a corn snake at the moment, shes only 20 grams and an awesome pet, but I'm hooked. its dangerous... Im more than likely going to purchase another snake in the next 6-8 months once I've saved up and gathered all the necessities.. the question is, what snake?

I'm loving the look of blood pythons, but those fiecty fellows might be a bit tough to handle? I was thinking king snake also. The thing is, I want a snake that is bigger and a little more work to look after. So basically I want something that is;

5-7 feet
Nice to handle (ish)
more of a project to look after and care for

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've got a corn snake at the moment, shes only 20 grams and an awesome pet, but I'm hooked. its dangerous... Im more than likely going to purchase another snake in the next 6-8 months once I've saved up and gathered all the necessities.. the question is, what snake?

I'm loving the look of blood pythons, but those fiecty fellows might be a bit tough to handle? I was thinking king snake also. The thing is, I want a snake that is bigger and a little more work to look after. So basically I want something that is;

5-7 feet
Nice to handle (ish)

Anyone got any ideas?
bull/pine/gopher snake gorgeous snakes bit more challenging than a corn. can appear aggressive but it is mainly a bluff. easy to handle. take a look into then. :2thumb:: victory:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Gotta go with the Bull/Pine/Gopher's as well.
Dig the "Get your Pits out" thread out and have a look!
(It could be a good few pages back now :whistling2:)

·
Registered
709 Posts

5-7 feet
Nice to handle (ish)

Anyone got any ideas?
bless the bloods they imo are fantastic snakes and not as bad as their rep makes them out to be, i had a big boy who was a gentleman and still is with his new owner, ive met and heard of on here of many puppy dog bloods! get a hatchling and grow with it. But if your still not sure how about a male hogg island boa brilliant docile snakes and very pretty!

·
Registered
9,293 Posts

5-7 feet
Nice to handle (ish)

Anyone got any ideas?
ok here's just a few ideas:
spotted python
childrens python
brazillian rainbow boa
columbian rainbow boa
dumerils boa
any boa! lol
irian jaya carpet python
king snake
milk snake
bull snake
pine snake
royal python
another corn snake
blood python
house snake
a dwarf boa of some sort
amazon tree boa...

basically just a huge amount of snakes to choose from for you :2thumb: lol

·
Registered
272 Posts
male boa? bit chunkier, bit more work and within your size specification. i've got a little female boa and she's lovely :flrt:

·
Registered
371 Posts
irian jaya carpet python : victory:

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
bull/pine/gopher snake gorgeous snakes bit more challenging than a corn. can appear aggressive but it is mainly a bluff. easy to handle. take a look into then. :2thumb:: victory:
Gotta go with the Bull/Pine/Gopher's as well.
Dig the "Get your Pits out" thread out and have a look!
(It could be a good few pages back now :whistling2:)
Gitta say Bulls and pines, great snakes a tad more to them than corns and easy to keep.Get your PITS out
Agreed :no1:

I've got two and they're both firm favourites :2thumb:

·
Registered
947 Posts
BRB for me!

5-7 feet - check
Nice to handle (ish) - check
more of a project to look after and care for - check

They are a reasonable size, easy to handle (except maybe the very young), and quite easy to care for. Just need to keep on top of humidity.

I got mine a few days ago. He's in an 18 litre RUB with 3 hides, large water bowl and a climbing vine. Humidity is sitting up at about 88% without any extra effort from me.

Beautiful snake, good size, good temperament, little hassle to care for. You wouldn't regret it. :no1:

Pete

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Pine snakes would be good, or if you want a king then a florida king or a chain king get much bigger than the others. The other option would be something like a black or grey ratsnake, both of which get to about 6ft

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same decision to make as you a while back. I almost went for one of the smaller carpets but ended up with a woma python. I wouldn't say more difficult than a corn but watch out when feeding, their temperament usually calmer than a corn turns so aggressive you can hardly believe it is the same snake. A little bigger than a corn, a little more unusual and a joy to own.:no1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts