Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a second snake but I cant decide what to get as theres so much to choose from! :shock:
I dont want anything thats going to get too big (something that could be housed in a 4ft viv is ideal)
new snake would be housed seperate to my other snake (nelsons milk) so it getting eaten isnt an issue :lol:
any ideas?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
My second was a female Royal Python, she is in a four foot by two foot by 18 inch viv, but like you say there is so much choice,go for one that you like the look of,and can comfortably home.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
RATSNAKE!!!!!Ehem....Sorry.... :oops:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
i'm sure you can fit at least a corn or royal python in that. Only ever looked up those to be honest :D

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
^^^^^^Has taste!!!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
257 Posts
if you choose a royal, a 4ft viv. is only suitable for an adult if you put one any younger it will get stressed. good luck in what ever you choose!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:lol: its a four foot viv maximum! i would start with it in a smaller tank and gradually upgrade f i had it from a hatchling (like i did with my other snake)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hehehe the maximum tank size now doesn't apply... :lol: the brazillian rainbow boas are so prrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttty!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Ratsnakes!! Ratsnakes aaaaaallll the way! If I had a spare 4ft to fill id get me a nice Beauty Snake, or maybe Trinket snakes, id probs split the space and have 2 2ft cubes and have a pair :lol: :lol: And if I had the money Id buy some Bamboo Ratsnakes, or something along those lines :lol: But thats just me because I love them to pieces :lol: :lol:

But seriously, you cannot go wrong with a Beauty snake, Iv had Taiwan Beauties and have Blue Beauties now and they are fantastic. I also have a radiated ratsnake which I LOVE, these are feisty little beggars with a bit of an attitude when they are young, but I like my snakes to be a little feisty as it seems as though they still have some wild left in them, but I wouldnt suggest getting one of those as a second snake....Some are certainly not for the faint hearted :lol:

BEAUTY SNAKE BEAUTY SNAKE!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I probably should add that Beauties can get to about 8ft in length......:roll:

We need more ratsnake lovers :lol: :lol: Too many people bypass them and get corns and royals because they are more docile....pffffft!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow bamboo ratsnakes are amazing! i hadn't heard of them before. :shock: are they easy to look after?....great now i am undecided again!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If youv got the money............Which I definately haven't!!! I haven't a clue about if they are easy to look after. I should imagine that they aren't that much different from most asian ratsnakes. But its not something I have looked into because of the price tag...... :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Haha lol, Yea, I need frequent reality checks when it comes to my animals....Soooo much Id have if I just had the money and space :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Taiwan Beauties all the way LOL !!!!! Awesome snakes to keep.Very jealous of the blue beauties I see listed in a certain collection there too!

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
never kept bamboo but from what i have read and been told by people that have kept them they are pretty hard to keep alive in captivity. Same as alot of wc asian ratsnakes that are coming through so i have been told.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Woohoo! Another ratsnake lover! Yes Taiwan's are great!!! I used to have 4, beautiful snakies :lol: :lol:

Lol, I was looking for Tai's before I got the blues, they just happened to pop up before any Tai's got the chance! Im so glad I got them though, prettyful little things! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've never kept any myself, but I think you have to keep some of the asian rats at slightly lower temps - I've heard of low end temps of 78F for some, so that may be why some people have had problems.

Didn't think there were that many WC - taiwans have been around a while as have russians, and someone at Basildon had quite a few blue beauty hatchlings. I suppose there's still going to be quite a few WC of the less popular species though.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
sorry meant to say the ones that arent already popular. I have read about temps as low as 65 for some of them!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts