Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Took my lad round the local herp shop today to finalise what species he would like for snake number 2 (snake number 1 is a cali king).

He's only 8, so obviously the snake care/handling is fully supervised by me (although calling me a responsible adult is taking it a bit far!)and to be fair he's taken too it like a natural - only wanting to hold the cali when it's awake and active, putting his hand in the viv and letting him get used to it before trying to hold him, leaving it if the snake goes into the 'S' pose or tail-rattles.

The cali is shortly to be re-homed into a new 4" viv (depending on my DIY skills that is!) and I quite fancy making a block type - i.e. two 4" vivs one on top of the other (ordered some planes from Worldwidesnakes for this design).

So now, what species? They had Royals in the shop, and H (my lad) likes the look of them, and I've heard good things about them as a beginners snake. I won't be buying one from the store as I'd only want to buy a captive bred, guaranteed feeder/shedder (as these didn't fit into that category even to my eye).

If i can get an '06, what size viv should I be looking at? On the design mentioned above, one of the 4" vivs can be split into 2, would a 2" viv be better than a 4"? (heard they can be stressed by too big an enclosure).

Any other recommendations rather than a Royal? He wants something a bit 'meatier' (for want of a better word). He did like the look of the carpet pythons (and the 8ft boa, but thats a no-no........for now lol), any thoughts on the Carpets?

Anyone recommend any breeders in the Northwest area (say 50mils radisu of Manchester)?

Personally, I like milk snakes and other king varieties, but it is his Christmas present after all!!

Any advice welcomed, thanks in advance

Jason

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A 4ft viv would be too way big for a hatchling, and too big for most adults.
Hatchling royals are best started off in a plastic tub of some kind, like one of these:
http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=,&webid=EBCCD&affixedcode=WW

The 9 litre one would be better at first for a hatchling though, heated using a heat mat, then move him up a box size as it grows. then eventually into a 3ft viv.

If I were you I'd try to steer him away from anything larger than a royal until he's a bit older. A carpet is a very different proposition to a kingsnake - longer, stronger and capable of giving a nasty bite if you get a moody one.

How about either a rosy boa or an Argentinian rainbow boa?
Both a bit 'meatier' than kings but not large enough to be intimidating as a carpet may be after a couple of years and more likely to be a reliable feeder than a royal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. To be honest, am looking for a more 'display' type viv, as much as H likes handling snakes, he also likes just watching them lol.

I've looked at Rainbow Boas previously, and the info has always said for more exeperienced keepers?

Whats the availability/cost like of Rosy Boas? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheap option, but don't want to skimp on the viv/set up for the sake of a more 'desirable' snake - I was planning on around £100 for the snake, and £150 for the set up.

Snake doesn't have to be a hatchling, as long as it has a reliable temperament and is a good feeder then thats fine - I would prefer a viv-size speciment.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you want a display snake then don't go for a royal - unless you like sitting in the dark all night with a red bulb on you won't see it much :D

Brazilian and colombian rainbows can get to 7ft+ but the argentinians are smaller, around 4ft or so, so a more suitable size.
I'd say rainbow boas generally are on a par with royals as far as required experience goes, so as you already have a king I don't think you'd have any trouble with a rainbow.

Not sure about price for rosy's but you'd get change out of £100 I'm sure. They only need a basic setup so £150 budget would be plenty. There were quite a few at the Basildon show the other week so you wouldn't have trouble finding one if you ask around a bit on the forums.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, they're an amazing looking snake, I think most of the kings/milks are. (At this rate gonna be buying a snake for each of us this Christmas!!!)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't think BRB's are particularly difficult to keep, you just have to take more consideration of their humidity, and their tendency to bite as a hatchling. Biting may be a problem for an 8 year old to get used to, but he sounds like he's already cautious of a snakes posture so its probably not too big a risk.

Whilst BRB's can get quite long, they are still a slender boa so won't seem massive. I'd think a Royal would probably seem bigger due to its extra girth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts