Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some seeds from the shelled warriors online shop and they just refuse to even germinate let alone grow! I have had them planted for about a week in some seed trays rather than pots and I have made sure to water them enough etc but nothing. Where am I going wrong? It cant be that hard to grow weeds can it?

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
a whole week!! youneed to chill out . t can take weeks for seeds to germinat and if you want to harvest them you need to wait for months really! just calm down, ignore the weeds and they WILL grow!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought some seeds from the shelled warriors online shop and they just refuse to even germinate let alone grow! I have had them planted for about a week in some seed trays rather than pots and I have made sure to water them enough etc but nothing. Where am I going wrong? It cant be that hard to grow weeds can it?
It can take a little longer than a week for germination to take place, however, I personally don't understand the reason for BUYING weed seeds. If you go out picking weeds during the summer then the seeds for that weed are attached to it in the form of flower heads.
Collect the flower heads, dry them in a paper bag then scatter them somewhere, they seem to grow easily enough where I don't want them to.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
lol yup they can take weeks put them someware warmer if you can they may sprout quicker,

would give a little longer they will sprout tho be patient,guess ur like me lol cant wait want to see progress over night lol (don't take offense i was kidding)

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Many weed seeds have hard cases which need stratifying (freezing and thawing) to break them down before the seed can germinate, in the wild the seeds germinate in spring after a winter of freezing and thawing, just putting these seeds out and watering them is often not enough.
You could try mixing some of the seeds with damp sand and putting them in the freezer for a week, then take them out and sow them, it's a standard method used by gardeners to germinate many seeds.

·
Registered
15,217 Posts
Many weed seeds have hard cases which need stratifying (freezing and thawing) to break them down before the seed can germinate, in the wild the seeds germinate in spring after a winter of freezing and thawing, just putting these seeds out and watering them is often not enough.
You could try mixing some of the seeds with damp sand and putting them in the freezer for a week, then take them out and sow them, it's a standard method used by gardeners to germinate many seeds.
too true!! my husband couldnt understand why there was a bax of lawn seed in the freezer, he seriosly doubted me and my logic, but our grass has sprouted and established in the space of 6 weeks. it also hasnt shown any wear even though it has 4 hungry leos chewing on it and stomping around.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you want to help them to germinate then put some glass over them, or even clingfilm, but you won't get much of a weed growing in seed trays, they need deep tubs or even better a garden!

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
I managed to kill my weeds by tending to them far too much.. I religiously watered them as if they were a household plant.
Trick is to ignore them, as if they were outside they wouldn't always get watered..

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol, dont i feel like a royal idiot. Didnt realise that they took so long to germinate!:lol2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts