Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

iv recently become interested in reptiles and now have one of my own: a normal royal python 2008 hatch. im aiming to breed and continue to care for snakes in the future dedicating most of my time and alot of care to many types of reptiles not just snakes but also lizards ect...

Iv seen many professionals and i wonder 'wow how do they know so much about so many snakes as easy as that!'. Its as though its off by heart.

well i seek advice and knowledge just as many professionals have now, im just wondering how and where can i find the knowledge i need about all the types of snakes there is?

rat snakes for example , hognose , pythons, venoumouse snakes ect...

why are there so many species? as an example question. And what are they called like rat snake for example, why rat?

not just the different species but i seek to somehow like others, know there names off by heart and everything about all common snakes.
its hard to explain as there is so much to know but i think you get the idea.

breeding,
morphs,
patterns,
species,
venoumous,
hybrids,
ect....
please try your best to answer the many questions above and help me to gain alot more knowledge about snakes.

thank-you.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
get yourself on amazon.

set yourself a budget i.e £30 quid and see how mnay books you can get, trust me you will be able to get enough to be getting on with for a long time. theres hundreds of books for very cheap prices and its the best way of learning. also if you have a good rep shop near you get in there and talk to the people that work there, i learnt a lot from just going in for a chat with my local rep shop

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
hi,

iv recently become interested in reptiles and now have one of my own: a normal royal python 2008 hatch. im aiming to breed and continue to care for snakes in the future dedicating most of my time and alot of care to many types of reptiles not just snakes but also lizards ect...

Iv seen many professionals and i wonder 'wow how do they know so much about so many snakes as easy as that!'. Its as though its off by heart.

well i seek advice and knowledge just as many professionals have now, im just wondering how and where can i find the knowledge i need about all the types of snakes there is?

rat snakes for example , hognose , pythons, venoumouse snakes ect...

why are there so many species? as an example question. And what are they called like rat snake for example, why rat?

not just the different species but i seek to somehow like others, know there names off by heart and everything about all common snakes.
its hard to explain as there is so much to know but i think you get the idea.

breeding,
morphs,
patterns,
species,
venoumous,
hybrids,
ect....
please try your best to answer the many questions above and help me to gain alot more knowledge about snakes.

thank-you.
You're asking the impossible.

You will find most experts know a lot by dint of spending 20 years plus study. Even then they may only know a lot about a handful of species. And yes they know it off by heart - its not easy, it has taken years of hard work.

There is more to study then just being a fact machine. If you just want to learn facts then you could learn 5 things about every species in 100 twelve hour days. But thats pointless without understanding.

Start here and work out:
Snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go to a library.

Dedicate your life to it.

You may end up knowing less then 5% of what there is to know.

There is always something to learn until the day you die. You will never reach the point where you can sit back and say you know everything.

Your enthusiasm is commendable but instead of focusing of learning everything why not concentrate on learning something new every day?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
You're asking the impossible.

You will find most experts know a lot by dint of spending 20 years plus study. Even then they may only know a lot about a handful of species. And yes they know it off by heart - its not easy, it has taken years of hard work.

There is more to study then just being a fact machine. If you just want to learn facts then you could learn 5 things about every species in 100 twelve hour days. But thats pointless without understanding.

Start here and work out:
Snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Go to a library.

Dedicate your life to it.

You may end up knowing less then 5% of what there is to know.

There is always something to learn until the day you die. You will never reach the point where you can sit back and say you know everything.

Your enthusiasm is commendable but instead of focusing of learning everything why not concentrate on learning something new every day?

v good answer

why not pick a certain type of snake to study and try and gain a large amount of knowledge on the so said subject

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
A good way would be to look at pics on here, pic a snake you like and search on here and Google, read up as much as you can on one snake. You can never know everything about them all but if you're interested enough you will eventually pick up enough to get you by. The best thing is experience though and that is the great thing about RFUK, there are people on here with many years of experience who are only too happy to answer questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts