Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a snake try to brumate itself?

My corn has not budged from the cool end hide for about 3 weeks. The temp there is 23c, the other end is 28c ambient with a mat stat keeping the sustrate at 32c, so I don't think it's too hot for her to avoid.

She'll pop her head out occasionally, and is still feeding / pooing, though very lazily, more 'put the mouse in my mouth for me' than striking and constricting like usual. I'm wondering whether to stop feeding / handling for a while?

If I get her out she seems active, but goes straight back to the hide when I put her back.

She's an adult, in good condition, good weight, fed 1 mouse a week, no signs of ill health. I'd just like to see more of her!

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Alot do this time of year. Its possible. But aslong as you offer food and it accepts there isn't any problem.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i have an adult male that does it all himself, 14 years in a row..

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a 7 year old intermontana corn (a plains rat snake variant, so similar to a corn) and she avoids the warm end if the temps are above 82-83F/28C.
So while your warm end isn't dangerously hot, it may just be a bit too warm for her taste.

You could try reducing it bit by bit and see if she starts to move between warm and cool ends.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts