Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm breeding my corn snakes this year and I'm expecting a lot of eggs (the female is over 700g and 5ft 5 in length). I love in Northern Ireland and i don't know what to expect:

Should I expect a high demand in corn snake hatchlings from shops etc, or should I not expect too much?

I am in a real dilemma because I am going to invest a lot of money into breeding, incubation, care for hatchlings etc.

Do you think shops will be interested?

Thanks for any help provided

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pet shops can be a bit iffy about taking animals from a private breeder so I'd do a ring around before breeding to see how high demand would be.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm in the exact same predicament as you! I'm going down some local reptile shops Saturday to ask - and to pick up some supplies of course :lol2:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Personally I wouldn't expect a high demand, in fact it may be difficult to sell them, though there is no harm finding out from the shops if they would be interested. Unless you are breeding something really special, chances are you won't make your money back.

If you really want to breed I would advise that you ensure that you have the space, money and time to care for all the hatchlings for quite some period of time, and of course that you are willing to look after them. It is always better to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Don't forget if you get a large clutch, you don't have to incubate all the eggs. You could always freeze some immediately after being laid so you only have an amount that you know that you can care for. This is what I did when my female double clutched last year. But if you do this, they must go in the freezer straight away.

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
Pet shops can be a bit iffy about taking animals from a private breeder so I'd do a ring around before breeding to see how high demand would be.
Most pet shops are often happy to buy from local breeders, just don't expect to get much from them! As a general rule of thumb, most shops will charge around twice the amount they paid, plus VAT. So if they are selling corns for, say £40 each, don't expect to get any more than £10 each if you sell to the shop.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Personally I wouldn't expect a high demand, in fact it may be difficult to sell them, though there is no harm finding out from the shops if they would be interested. Unless you are breeding something really special, chances are you won't make your money back.

If you really want to breed I would advise that you ensure that you have the space, money and time to care for all the hatchlings for quite some period of time, and of course that you are willing to look after them. It is always better to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Don't forget if you get a large clutch, you don't have to incubate all the eggs. You could always freeze some immediately after being laid so you only have an amount that you know that you can care for. This is what I did when my female double clutched last year. But if you do this, they must go in the freezer straight away.
OMG!
I never thought people did that!

Although i shouldn't be surprised about what goes on in the world eg male chicks getting killed and so on. I thought that all viable eggs got hatched and sold.

My sad day just got sadder :(

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
OMG!
I never thought people did that!

Although i shouldn't be surprised about what goes on in the world eg male chicks getting killed and so on. I thought that all viable eggs got hatched and sold.

My sad day just got sadder :(
I would much rather freeze viable eggs before they start fully developing, than have more snakes than I can actually look after. I would only ever freeze eggs within a very MAXIMUM of 12 hours, but in my girls case last year, they were frozen within an hour.

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I personally believe in sensible breeding and only incubating all the eggs if you are 100% confident you can find homes for them.

I personally just cannot decide if I even want to try breeding my corns, I still have plenty of time as the female corn I bought is just a baby but pairing both would make for quite an interesting breeding project as both have very good genes BUT I just cannot decide if it's a risk I want to take, esp with the risks of females becoming egg bound, I never bought my female corn with the intention of breeding them, I just love the morph as she is a Hypo Bloodred and my male is a Bloodred, if I do decide to pair them then I will only incubate just some of the eggs and that's all.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Still sad :(

·
Registered
522 Posts
I understand why people freeze eggs, but I would always think what if one of those eggs would develop to be the morph of my dreams.
to precious to me anyway :lol2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something I should probably mention is that a few years ago, my local reptile shop moved to the city (Belfast) and now there is only one pet shop in my town now. Since no one could buy mice in Larne (my town) anymore, the small pet shop has started selling them - gap in the market. I have a really good relationship with the owners of the pet shop and feel as though they probably would buy the hatchlings off me - they'll be able to charge quite high for then since they'll be the only ones in Larne selling them. And if they charge high, I could do the retail price quite high - win win situation for both parties.

Just thought that this would give you more info when trying to give me advice

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
Something I should probably mention is that a few years ago, my local reptile shop moved to the city (Belfast) and now there is only one pet shop in my town now. Since no one could buy mice in Larne (my town) anymore, the small pet shop has started selling them - gap in the market. I have a really good relationship with the owners of the pet shop and feel as though they probably would buy the hatchlings off me - they'll be able to charge quite high for then since they'll be the only ones in Larne selling them. And if they charge high, I could do the retail price quite high - win win situation for both parties.

No one is going to pay high prices for just normals, even if this pet shop is the only supplier, something you should keep in mind.

Also, what morphs you pairing?

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
You would still have to charge the same or less than the big suppliers to make it worthwhile for the shop to buy them from you.

I doubt you are the only person in Larne breeding corn snakes, if there was no demand then they would not be stocking reptile food. So they may not have any competition, but you do when it comes to selling your hatchlings.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
To be honest ( and blunt, sorry :) ) you should really sort out who is going to buy any hatchlings before you breed them.

Corn snakes are, along with royals, the most commonly kept snakes in the UK. So you may well have trouble selling them because they are the most commonly bred snakes as well. At the end of the day, it's you that's going to be left with a lot of hungry mouths to feed if you cannot sell them relatively quickly.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Overbred already. Just don't bother. Or at least ask 1st, a breeder used to supply my local shop with them for packs of mice... She just bred for interest and new there was no real value in corns.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts

If you get on well with the owners of the pet shop, you are better off just asking them rather than asking on here as they will have a far better understanding of supply and demand for that area. Even if they charge quite high they will still only give you pennies. You will not make any money from doing it, you will be lucky to break even, so if you are doing it for money you may as well forget about it.

Is the shop even a reptile shop? Because if they do not already sell snakes then they may not want to pay out for the costs of set-ups and maintenance for them, and may not have the knowledge and experience to sell them. I'm not saying that is the case, but something you should double check just to be on the safe side.

If there previously was more pet shops, and they are now the remaining one, then it doesn't sound like buisness is too great round there. Corn snakes will not make you money.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
i swear even shops are having trouble selling corns these days, unless ya gonna breed high end corns making money just isnt gonna happen

·
Registered
745 Posts
I must admit that although I do love corns, I don't think I'd ever like to breed them, as the market is saturated already. I still see corns coming in for re-homing to my local club, and I don't really want to add to that problem.

I'd be more interested in re-homing a couple and providing good quality care for them than breeding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts