Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a reptile expo over the weekend and one breeder was selling gravid ball pythons. What do you guys think of this? What are the pros and cons of buying a gravid female? Has anyone bought one? Have any breeders here sold them?

Christina

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
well the obvious pros are that you will get babies very quick and get your money back.
i suppose you might not know what they will be though, mybae not know how old the female is and how many times she has bred.
its not always a bad thing though, but if you can it would be good to get dates of the matings so you know when she is due.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pixie_bex said:
I have never bred snakes but would the move not stress the female out?
That's my concern. And he was letting people handle the females.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
depends how far they are/ i have bought gravid female corns before that were ok, but some didnt give good eggs and even died.. i would probably say no unless its a very short journey that they need to go.

G

·
a lot of breeders/catchers do this...im guessing they were wild caught?
It wont really do the snake any harm....however...i wouldnt do it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lnvexotics said:
a lot of breeders/catchers do this...im guessing they were wild caught?
Nope. They were CB. I have never heard of it until the expo.

G

·
Its never a good idea to move gravid females even from one room to another so i would be very hesitant to buy a female that was even possibly gravid.It can do harm to the snake if she is so far gone ie egg binding etc.I would also be suspitous of anyone selling a gravid female as in what is the reason for the sale.Surely anyone would want to keep hold of her till she had layed the eggs or birthed the neonates.

·
Registered
25,691 Posts
I certainly wouldn't move my corns once i'm 100% sure they're gravid (ie they stopped eating and are starting to show a little)

I have known people to advertise a snake as gravid before - without being guaranteed it is gravid, maybe they just saw it mate with a male and that's not a 100% guarantee. Make sure that you are sure it's gravid before you buy because anyone can just say it's gravid and it'll make people more willing to pay up because they think they're going to make their money back quickly.

I can see no logical reason of a breeder selling a guaranteed gravid - healthy - female to someone else.

I would strongly suspect either they're not gravid, or there's something wrong with them that the person wants to get rid of them, but hey, I'm a skeptic :D

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Greenphase said:
Its never a good idea to move gravid females even from one room to another so i would be very hesitant to buy a female that was even possibly gravid.It can do harm to the snake if she is so far gone ie egg binding etc.I would also be suspitous of anyone selling a gravid female as in what is the reason for the sale.Surely anyone would want to keep hold of her till she had layed the eggs or birthed the neonates.

Those r my views to Ryan

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
were are they from, got a site or anything?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
One of the cons is that from a judge's mind, from a baby's arse and from a pregnant belly, you're never 100% sure what's gonna come out.

So you might end up a lot of money for a pregnant female that might end up not delivering anything.

·
Registered
990 Posts
buying gravid snakes

I would't pay more for a snake because it was being sold as gravid as there is never a garauntee of offspring until they arrive. Also if the snake is gravid and moving it causes death of the young you may be in for a vets bill to remove the dead young and it could become useless as a breeder at least for the next season.

G

·
Re: buying gravid snakes

Scoffa said:
I would't pay more for a snake because it was being sold as gravid as there is never a garauntee of offspring until they arrive. Also if the snake is gravid and moving it causes death of the young you may be in for a vets bill to remove the dead young and it could become useless as a breeder at least for the next season.
if the vet has to remove the eggs - because it becomes `egg-bound` then if the snake even survives...it will be left infertile.

Moving the snake wont cause the babies to die lol....obviously you have to be careful when handling....but technically these guys selling gravid snakes arent doing anything wrong...because at the end of the day they will be picked up oncemaybe twice...transported in a box....so no real harm will come to them....maybe if they are about to drop,then it could stress the snake out,maybe mess with the temps and the snake could become eggbound..worse case scenario,

im not defending people who do this,and i personally wouldnt buy/sell a gravid snake....i`d want the babies for one thing

But its not `that` bad,as in theres breeders doing far worse things...

were people actually buying them?

i know one of the big breeders in usa...sold a gravid snake...he couldnt remember what it had been bred to and what it would produce...so he sold it saying....anything could come out....and stuck a price on it....big breeders do sell/ship/export etc gravid snakes...they are also taken out of wild as gravid...that i definatly disagree with.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
well i will go the other way here.. i WOULD ask for more for a gravid snake, thats the risk you take, you know the risk when you start.

·
Registered
990 Posts
gravid snakes

It's a bit like dragging the pregnant wife for a night out with the lads, apart from the lack of the ear bashing next day. Don't suppose it's gonna do your unborn child much good either.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Greenphase said:
The best and most valid point, we would never sell a gravid female let alone move her about.

Which expo was this at?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts