Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a conundrum to solve, and I would like people's input into this. As some of you know last September I manager to screw up my neck and shoulder, and have been on income support since then. Now it's gotten better to the point where I've been signed off income support, but the same problem is still there. It's just manageable now. So I'm facing a bit of decision: Do I grit my teeth and return to where I was working, and just use painkillers to fight any discomfort? It means money, but it also risks exacerbating the problem and potentially going back to square one. Or do I sign onto jobseekers and try heading off in a different direction, which probably means being piss poor for a a much longer time to come, but should mean a job where managing the condition should be a lot easier?

Stress also seems to make it ache like hell too.

Anyhow, all thoughts and opinions would be muchly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
For me (currently off work with health issues) health is more important than work and money.

So I'd say whatever you do it should be so your health is top of your list. I'm thinking of a slight change in my work to enable me to work and not have my health affected.

·
Registered
43,138 Posts
It is normally easier to find a job when you are already working, if that makes sense.

Would it be possible to return to your old job and then look for other work?

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is normally easier to find a job when you are already working, if that makes sense.

Returning to my old job would be no trouble what so ever. Because it's a slaughterhouse it has a fairly high turn over in personal. What I'm worried about is the fact the injury is still there. It's a catch-22 situation, otherwise i'd be back working there, and would no longer be the post whore of the forum.

To be honest I miss being able to afford shiny things. :(

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Personally, i would go back to work, even though your going to be in pain. And start looking for another job.

If you go to a job interview and they realise you could have gone back to work and didnt, it doesn't look good to potential employers.

BUt on the other hand if you are going to make your health a lot worse, it may be better to get a less stressful job now.

This is a confusing one. You need to do what you feel is right for you and try not worry so much aout the money side of things.

·
Registered
43,138 Posts
Returning to my old job would be no trouble what so ever. Because it's a slaughterhouse it has a fairly high turn over in personal. What I'm worried about is the fact the injury is still there. It's a catch-22 situation, otherwise i'd be back working there, and would no longer be the post whore of the forum.

To be honest I miss being able to afford shiny things. :(
If the pain is still there and you know that going back to work may send you back to square one, I wouldn't go back.
Unless they could offer you a position elsewhere in the company that wouldn't aggravate the injury.

I have only ever been unemployed once, which was 12 years ago for 6 months, and it drove me mad.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts

Thats what I would suggest :)

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
If you are capable of work there is a slim change you'll get JSA. Its one of the questions they ask, are you fit for work?? You can't say NO unless you can proove it via a dr's note.

So i say get a job where you can rest and doesnt involve lifting or bending sure that has to be better?

Marina:)

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the pain is still there and you know that going back to work may send you back to square one, I wouldn't go back.
Unless they could offer you a position elsewhere in the company that wouldn't aggravate the injury.

I have only ever been unemployed once, which was 12 years ago for 6 months, and it drove me mad.
The happy pills had me strung out for a large chunk of the time. Especially at the start. Nothing like NHS painkillers to keep you mellow and sleepy.

·
Registered
25,127 Posts
Health is wealth and all that.

I'm working part time hours as I'm too ill to work full time, I wish I could be at home but I need the money and can't afford to lose my job. If you can recover fully at home, I'd do it.

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Health is wealth and all that.

I'm working part time hours as I'm too ill to work full time, I wish I could be at home but I need the money and can't afford to lose my job. If you can recover fully at home, I'd do it.
I can't, the simple fact is I need the money so I can go to a chiropractor and get it sorted out. I have a trapped nerve just below the shoulder blade, and it feels like there's an inflamed, or trapped ganglion where my shoulder and neck meet. Stress or movements which cause contraction of my right shoulder muscles tend to make it ache, and then hurt, and if went back to how it was then I'd be screaming into my pillow at 3am, because it'd feel like someone ramming a red hot iron into my shoulder.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Get an easy job in an office somewhere. You won't agrrevate your shoulder/neck and will earn more than jobseekers plus you will have something to do.... Even if its just part time...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I can't, the simple fact is I need the money so I can go to a chiropractor and get it sorted out. I have a trapped nerve just below the shoulder blade, and it feels like there's an inflamed, or trapped ganglion where my shoulder and neck meet. Stress or movements which cause contraction of my right shoulder muscles tend to make it ache, and then hurt, and if went back to how it was then I'd be screaming into my pillow at 3am, because it'd feel like someone ramming a red hot iron into my shoulder.
Ouch!

I was on a bus that crashed years ago. The muscle came out from under my shoulder blade. That was 10-11 years ago. It still aches every now and then.

I had to learn to pop the muscle back in place myself, in the end because of the pain. That was a really burning pain too, couldnt move properly for months.

·
Registered
25,127 Posts

Hmm. Tough one. Can't you temp in an office?

·
Registered
12,152 Posts
Sign on and look for alternative employment.

1. You are wasted on working in a slaughter house.
2. It is likely to aggravate your injury and then you will be piss poor for even longer still.
3. You are already used to being skint so signing on for bit longer wont matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts