Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL I've never had any problems with getting the temp gradient right with vivs but now I've got a little spotted python coming tomorrow and am having problems with the plastic tub (a viv would be too big yet). The tub is those regular thingies you get in the reptile shops with the plastic lid with air holes in it and around the side.

I've got my heat mat (I'm used to CHEs) taped up underneath the tub 1/3rd of the way and up the side. Stat probe is sitting on inside tub on top of the mat area and thermometer probe next to it. Thing is - it's like 93 on the hot end and 71 on the cool - I need like 88-90 hot end and 88-82 cool end. Should I not have taped it up the side too? Or should I cover the cool side with a blanket? Not sure if I've got it all right because tub set-ups are new to me. :?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
set up

hiya i recon uv got a contico box which is fine.just put the tub on a heat mat a little bit coz its plastic the tub will heat up pretty quick.its just a wee baby so give him lots of wee hides so he feels safe.use newspaper if he just new to see if he had mites or anything similar plus it will be easier to clean.
just as long as hes got lots fo hides eh'll be fine and again just keep the heat mat on a little bit.i dont go by teps as i just use regular heatmats which work fine.so i can thelp you on what temp to set him at but it should be fine :) good luck!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sounds more like a faunarium to me, one of these:

http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pd914208471.htm?categoryId=10

If it is a faunarium, they don't keep the heat in very well due to the way they're ventilated - across the lid. You could try covering most of the lid with a piece of card or something, just leaving the vent holes around the sides open.
A contico/really useful box would probably be better as you could make the vent holes around the sides only and so lose less heat, althugh it still may not be perfect.

The only way to do it accurately would be to have two mats and two stats - with the extra mat at the cool end set to the lower temp.

Could you put it on top of another viv that's heated by a ceramic? With the cool end over a warm area on top of the viv, above where the ceramic is mounted?
You'd have to be careful it wasn't in an area that was too hot though - the top of some of my vivs with 100w ceramics can get up to 40C+.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Re: set up

klair328 said:
i dont go by teps as i just use regular heatmats which work fine.
You don't use thermostats...? :shock:

To rise the temp on the cool side i would bring the heat mat a little bit up the tub (between 1/3 & 1/2) that would let you reduce the hot end & raise the cool end... :wink:

·
Registered
457 Posts
i wouldnt worry too much about the cool end temp

as long as you have a gradient reaching your hot end temp then you will be ok.

the snake will be able to thermoregulate fine

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ceiron said:
i wouldnt worry too much about the cool end temp

as long as you have a gradient reaching your hot end temp then you will be ok.

the snake will be able to thermoregulate fine
Trouble is, at the moment the snake will have a choice between an ideal max warm end temp, and a cool end temp that's too low.
Using just one mat at one end will mean that there's very little middle ground if the snake wants to cool down without being too cold.

Instead of a gradient, it'll be more like two distinct areas - no problem if the cool end temp (at room temp) is ok for the species but at the moment it'll be one end at the max temp and the other too cold.
So the cool end will need a boost somehow.

·
Registered
457 Posts
do you think you get ideal temp gradients in the wild ?

as long as the required basking spot is there the snake will find spots to thermoregulate itself.

as long as the cold end is above 60f they will be fine.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No, I don't think they have ideal temp gradients in the wild - but in the wild they're not confined to a very small area of only a couple of sq.ft. They'd have a much larger area at their disposal in the wild so would easily be able to find their required temp.

Whereas in a faunarium heated by only one mat, they have a straight choice between just two temps - in this case one ideal as a warm end temp, and the other too cold, with no areas where the temp is in the middle of the range.

Fine at those temps if it was a corn, but Razaiel has specified the temps that he/she (not sure which, sorry! :D ) wishes to provide and I'm just trying to help out with a solution :D

For the record, I also wouldn't be too worried by the difference in temp, but if there was a simple solution available then I would try to improve the situation, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
457 Posts
ah but its not two temps, theres a gradient from 70f up to 93 f, so a lot of diff temps.

to improve thermal efficiency of the tank put some polystyrene foam along back and two sides and can put a foiled piece under the heat mat to reflect up heat.

can experiment with thsi to get required temps

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
But that's my point - there won't be lots of different temps between 70-93. There will be 90F+ at the end where the mat is, then the area off the mat will quickly drop (over the space of an inch or so) to 70F. Meaning that only one side of the faunarium will be at a suitable temp.

If another type of tub was used, one where the base was actually in contact with the mat, the heat may spread along the base and give a better gradient.
Because faunariums are raised on little feet, and I believe because of the type of plastic they're made from, the heat doesn't carry to the cool end so well.

So the floor will be divided like a football pitch - one half being warm, the other half too cold, with no inbetween.

·
Registered
457 Posts
set a faunarium up, use an infra red and normal thermometer and map the temperatures, then add decor so it resembles a full set up and do the same

you will be surprised

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow - lots of replies - thanks to everyone with their advice - and yes, Mark, it is a faunarium.

Well just after I posted my message I covered up the cooler half of the viv completely with a doubled towel and that brought cool end ambient up to 73.4 - I also put masking tape along the OUTSIDE of the tub where the vents were (so no snakey sticking to tape).

The top of another vivarium idea is an excellent idea and I remember now I have used this option before (I have plenty to choose from, especially if I use the monitor's viv which is hottest).

The tub is on the floor at the moment (which could also be why it's cooler) but it won't be there for long because the new snake is going to be a surprise present for my daughter - I'm picking it up tomorrow at 3.30 and just need to keep it hidden overnight :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts