Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I posted a week or so ago about getting some frogs, well after a visit to coast to coast in darlington, I have decided on big eyed tree frogs and the rerquired equipment to keep them. Very helpful lady in the shop - hel me see all of thwe smaller species frogs and the big eyes were bay far the cutest!!!

A little question though, having red poor reports on exo terra heat mats, I have bought a komodo (old T-Rex) mat which isnt sticky, and a thermostat too of course!!. As the exo terra vivarium has a raised bottom, how is it best to install the heat mat? I was thinkinmg of cutting a poly tile to fit into the raised section and putting the mat between it and the glass bottom, is that ok??

Also, I am going to keep them on eco earth - any tips for a cleaning schedule? (And i know this is dirty, but what does a frog poo look like so I know what to remove during a spot clean? PM/post a picture if you could - this is a real request:2thumb:)

Should be getting the frogs soon but taking my time to get the tank all nicely set up and stable first!!

Thanks for helping me to decide on the set up and frog types too!!!

B

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oooh, forghot to add - Do people normally keep the exo terra back gorund? I seems to take up a lot of space, was thinking of doing the back ond sides using pic background

Ta

B

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have taken out the exo terra naff background and put my own in, I use coco fibre panels and siliconed that on with aquarium sealant.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!

What about the heat mat as I am starting the vivarium build this evening? I am a bit lost with the heat mat (only ever used water heaters!!)

cheers!!

Ben

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, full steam ahead for the build tonight!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
You would be better taping your heatmat to the side of the tank at the bottom . The problem is if you have your substrate too deep ie more than 1 inch your tank will crack. speaking from experience my whites got moved in to an exo 18" cube which lasted about a month. The bottom had shattered all the way through so need less to say £90 later they go a nice new 18x18 x24 high one .

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Personally, i dont use the exo backgrounds, instead, i use coco fibre backgrounds and silcone them inplace. then use various cleaned up branches from the woods as climbing apperatus (bleeched and baked). The heatmat placment depends how you are setting up your viv. If you have a substrate that is deap over 1.5 cm is what i go by, then attach the heat mat to the side or back of the viv. Also, as you wish to keep the humidity up for the froggy, the best bet is to cover up the mesh roof, with either cut glass or perspecx.

Hope the helps
jay

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!!

I am having an eco earth substrate, but no too thick, so I will put my heat mat on the bottom (plus then its out of the way of my other halfs very curious little dwarf house rabbit - can do without burnt noses!!!)

Does the water dish go on the hot or cold side? I think hot to keep up the humidity but really not too sure!!

Thanks again!

Ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts