Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to probe a new born snake? Some species are really easy as adults and can be done by eye. I have always wanted to have a go at probing but am reluctant in case I push the probe in too far and cause some damage. I know with diamond pythons it's easy to be a bit rough and pierce the musk gland of a female. :roll:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i think you can do it at any age but it has to be probed by someone that knows what there doing

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
There is info about this but I think it should be treated like some sort of exclusive club, i.e if your asking questions then your not in the club. It seems a little too easy to damage your snake if your not 110 percent sure already.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wouldnt even attempt to try to probe my snakes "just in case". would rather get a vet to do it or an experienced breeder

just my opinion

·
Registered
399 Posts
They can be probed at any age but it better if an experienced friend could show you or your local herp vet.Def not something you just have a try at.It's supposed to be really easy once you've tried it a few times tho.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Scoffa said:
How easy is it to probe a new born snake? Some species are really easy as adults and can be done by eye. I have always wanted to have a go at probing but am reluctant in case I push the probe in too far and cause some damage. I know with diamond pythons it's easy to be a bit rough and pierce the musk gland of a female. :roll:
That's one of the things I think people should not try at home. You'd be a lot safer getting a pro to do it, and if you're really eager to learn you should take a course and learn it properly. I heard it can be quite harmfull to the snake if you make a mistake, and it's very easy to make a mistake if you're not experienced at handling / probing the snake.

Only species I'm good at determing the sex are human females, I'm sure my wife is female and a proven breeder :lol:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
wkd1 said:
I wouldnt even attempt to try to probe my snakes "just in case". would rather get a vet to do it or an experienced breeder

just my opinion
Same here. By the way, sex determination can be tricky even for experienced people, I had a snake who was probed as female by a keeper with years of experienced, after a year he was probed by another expereicned breeder as being a male. Since I was in doubt I took him to my vet, who explained to me that sometimes it's not 100 % accurate, and apparently there are cases of false males / females.

Then he probed him for me and said: 'I'm almost certain it's a male :roll: '

I'm talking about an adult corn I had who died at the beginning of the year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts