Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2yr old brb and was wondering the best way to sex it,i got a couple of friends who can probe but they said that i should take it to the vet just to be sure.Are they really that hard to probe?Also was wondering how big it should be by now keep getting told different things,some people say they only get to 6ft others say they know people who have one at 10ft.What is the final girth of them?My one is approx 5ft long,nearly on small rats,i think it would be pushing it to put it on them just now.I giving it an adult mouse every 4 days to try and bulk it up as a friend said it should be on rats by now.Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
probing is best left to people with experience, and they only get to be about 5 foot long so anyone who says they've got a 10 foot one,i'm sorry,is mistaken.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats good,what size rats will they be on when they an adult,do you know?Again i keep getting mixed stories about that too.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sorry i dont know that, i dont have one, yet!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Your brb sounds fine to me! I have adults(1.1) and yearlings(0.2) and your sizes seem well within range.My adult female is fully grown at just over 6ft so i doubt you will have a 10ft monster!!
If someone says they can probe for you but you should still take it to the vets i would not let them anywhere near your snake as they obviously have no idea how to do it properly!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guys i know sexed my corns with no probs but the said probing was not as accurate wi boas i have faith that they can sex tho.Sorry to be a pest but what size rats is your female on?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
simonc said:
Your brb sounds fine to me! I have adults(1.1) and yearlings(0.2) and your sizes seem well within range.My adult female is fully grown at just over 6ft so i doubt you will have a 10ft monster!!
If someone says they can probe for you but you should still take it to the vets i would not let them anywhere near your snake as they obviously have no idea how to do it properly!
sounds to me like anyone who is trying to probe but telling you to make sure and cunsult your vet is wel aware of thier limits and is giving you good advise.
males get to 6-7 ft usually,females getting to 6 1/2 - 8,there wil allways be exepetions.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Probing BRB's is no more difficult than any other snake,its just a matter of conifedence and experience.
If you are going to take her to vets and let them do it (providing you can find one) then why let someone mess about with her?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your advice i got a good vet,the best in scotland so will take it there,they really know what they are doing and hopefully can get a mate for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts