Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how old do iggy's have to be before sexing?i want mine done at some point in the future,i'm not breeding if it's female but i'd love to know if he is a she or if she is a he...lol :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,813 Posts
not sure..
i think at most ages if u had a few u could prolly suss out which are prolly of which sex but with just one i dont know, definetly by a year and a half old though no probs.
How old is yours?

EDIT- Just remembered i saw the pic, its just a baby...so not yet i guess, think its the same with many other reps where u can prolly spot a definite male earlyish on but still could be a male not obviously..ok im gettin my words really mixed up sorry, im losin the plot here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
You can't generally sex an iguana accurately until it is about 2 years old and it begins to take on the characteristics of the adult, as it approaches the first breeding season.

More often than not, as well as males taking on a bulkier appearance and having a much larger dewlap, it is the femoral pores that are the best indicator as the males have enlarged ones in the breeding season.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,045 Posts
les said:
You can't generally sex an iguana accurately until it is about 2 years old and it begins to take on the characteristics of the adult, as it approaches the first breeding season.

More often than not, as well as males taking on a bulkier appearance and having a much larger dewlap, it is the femoral pores that are the best indicator as the males have enlarged ones in the breeding season.
Hello Les (I take it this is Les from LF who had Gromit).

Another way of telling is to watch them when they defecate, sometimes the males will evert their hemipenis(es?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DEANandTRESE said:
not sure..
i think at most ages if u had a few u could prolly suss out which are prolly of which sex but with just one i dont know, definetly by a year and a half old though no probs.
How old is yours?

EDIT- Just remembered i saw the pic, its just a baby...so not yet i guess, think its the same with many other reps where u can prolly spot a definite male earlyish on but still could be a male not obviously..ok im gettin my words really mixed up sorry, im losin the plot here.

lol no bother,i'm not fussed but it would be nice to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixx said:
les said:
You can't generally sex an iguana accurately until it is about 2 years old and it begins to take on the characteristics of the adult, as it approaches the first breeding season.

More often than not, as well as males taking on a bulkier appearance and having a much larger dewlap, it is the femoral pores that are the best indicator as the males have enlarged ones in the breeding season.
Hello Les (I take it this is Les from LF who had Gromit).

Another way of telling is to watch them when they defecate, sometimes the males will evert their hemipenis(es?)
cool i'll keep my eye out,....lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Fixx said:
Hello Les (I take it this is Les from LF who had Gromit).

Another way of telling is to watch them when they defecate, sometimes the males will evert their hemipenis(es?)
Hi......and yes it is. :wink: And I will be honest.......I never saw Gromit do that. :eek:mg: :lol: Mind you, he only ever went in a water filled tray.

I was told he was female, but the first indication that they had got it wrong was when he 'bulked' up and the femoral pores became greatly enlarged and as you know.....he was most definitely male (before his op. :wink: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Hey les I was told my female was male when i got him had a bit of a shock when "he" had his first season and laid eggs.

Our male Gibbers does it occasionally but he poos on the carpet :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Your iguana would need to be about 2 - 3 years of age to be sexed accurately,

Ways of telling your iguanas sex:

Spines - males have much bigger spines then females

Dewlap - males will have a large dewlap and females will have a much smaller one

Sub-tympanal scale - the sub-tympanal scales will generally be larger on males then females

Behind the eyes iguanas have fatty deposits but in males they become very big and bulky so this is another indication you have a male and not a female

The femoral pores on the male are also larger then on females.

Basically if you have a smaller-less bulky iguana with hardly any dewlap and small pores and a little head it probably would be a female, unless it’s a very submissive male iguana which is very possible.

Matt.
:D
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top