Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can't generally sex an iguana accurately until it is about 2 years old and it begins to take on the characteristics of the adult, as it approaches the first breeding season.

More often than not, as well as males taking on a bulkier appearance and having a much larger dewlap, it is the femoral pores that are the best indicator as the males have enlarged ones in the breeding season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fixx said:
Hello Les (I take it this is Les from LF who had Gromit).

Another way of telling is to watch them when they defecate, sometimes the males will evert their hemipenis(es?)
Hi......and yes it is. :wink: And I will be honest.......I never saw Gromit do that. :eek:mg: :lol: Mind you, he only ever went in a water filled tray.

I was told he was female, but the first indication that they had got it wrong was when he 'bulked' up and the femoral pores became greatly enlarged and as you know.....he was most definitely male (before his op. :wink: )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.