Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is my first post on here, but I've been lurking in the shadows for a couple of months now.

Got my first reptile, a little BD (who still doesn't have a name..) about a month ago now. When I bought her, the shop thought (s?)he was female, but now I'm having my doubts - friend had a look and thinks she might be a little boy! Also, she's getting more black colouration on her beard since she shed about a week ago - am I right in thinking that this is an indication of a male? Everything that I've read in books is quite confusing, and I don't really know what I'm looking for with the bumps on the legs etc... any tips for determining whether I have a girl or boy?

BD is approx. 4 months old now - is this too young to tell for certain?

Thanks in advance,
Becky

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Im no expert either but hav two BD (baby's)of a similar age. The colouration can be mis-leading as also a way of expression. I have check my larger BD (baby)today and althogh showing some clasic signs of male behaviour when, I have checked her (i think) femoral pores and there is only one central buldge. On a male you would expext to find two two buldges at the base of tail with an hour glass indent in between. A good tip is not to turn your bd (with no name) on his /her back. lie in palm of hand and gently raise tail (not too far as can cause damage)

hope this helps

·
Registered
83 Posts
sexing your beardie

i have a beardie 13month old (pebbles) i thought he was a she but now i know its deffo a he male beardies display alot of territorial actions like head bobbing and blowing thier beard up, females tend to raise a leg like a wave its a submissive thing im sure anyway hope that helps you learn the true sex of your dragon watch it closely for a while see if it displays any of these signals. Anyhow what age is your dragon as im sure you know it is very hard to sex young lizards, maybe its a he/she nowt wrong with that ha ha only playing x

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would say 4mths is to young to sex your bd i would wait until its at least a year as some boys can be late bloomers.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
i agree with the post before mine wait a little longer then look again..as for the colouration of his/her beard this can be misleading i have witnessed a girl showing a black beard and bobbing lol.also my male has waved at me once or twice so dont base ur sexing on gestures.wait a wee longer then have another look. :D if u still cant tell take him to a good reptile store and they will have a look for u. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
sexing beardies

Your beardie is still a bit young wait a couple of months and take the animal to your reptile vets or your local shop who will be able to sex the animal for you. As in previous posts beard and body colour mean nothing unfortunatly as all are different like us some guys look like girls and some girls look like guys :shock: .
Females normally have a head shaped like an arrow head and males normally have a small and squat/blunt snout.

Sex doesn't matter as they are the cutest things ever and are both as good as pets.

·
Registered
323 Posts
pk

try this but be gentle its 90% acurate. must be done in the viv.get youre two fingers and press down gently on both shoulder blades.if its female she will arm wave if its male he will not.he should just try to push away. and usaully works from a few weeks old :wink:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
slap...u are having a laugh right??? dont press the shoulder blades!!! what scientific papers u get that info from? do u often go round pushing your beadys? males and females bob and wave untill they are sexually mature.how long have u been keeping reps?? im shocked at what u posted to be honest lets hope the person who asked the question about sexing doesnt follow ur post eh :oops: :roll: :shock:

·
Registered
323 Posts
ok

this is from someone whos bred them for twelve years.tosser.dont rant at get ****ed. :lol:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
[email protected] i also have been doing this a long long time too.why dont u just sex them the normal way?? that method is just silly all my beardy does wen i press his shoulder blades is sit there.females do the same.that method sucks :p im no gonna argue with u in a forum. :? infact my herpatologist friend laughed at your suggestion too and he is fully qualified. :p all im saying is wait till the beardys are old enough and sex them the proper way ie...lay them on ya palm and gently lift tail.for goodness sakes. :wink: (since wen are girls tossers anyway? :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for all the tips everyone... friend had a look and thinks female like man in the shop....so I think I'm gonna assume she is a little girl 'til she gets a bit older. She has a name now too - "Tiny". That way, it won't matter either way :wink:

Might have a very gentle try at pressing her shoulders tomorrow when I get her out....she's very tame, and I'm curious now. Don't worry - I won't hurt her! Actually, I'm surprised how tame she's become already. 1 month of daily handling, and now she'll happily climb around on me and snuggle into me when she starts to cool down - SO cute.

Will try and post some pics soon too, before she grows.

Thanks again,
Becky

1 - 14 of 14 Posts