Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i jut got a new royal today same size as my probed female and i compared their 'bits' and the new one has more sticky outty bits round its hole compared to my probed female her sticky outty bits are tiny does this mean its male? or am i just getting my hopes up?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
spur size is just guess work
best to find someone to probe it, maybe ask at your local pet/rep shop?
they usually have someone there who can do it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Personally I don't like to probe Royals and prefer to work on subcaudal scale counts with them (and anything else which is known to be problematic).

All you need to do is count the number of paired scales from the vent to the end of the tail, try thi and post your count here.

Mike.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
i just did mine and got 29 does that mean male/female/icantcount

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Is that a proven fact its just ive been calling mine monty for the past 4 years.Is there anymore ways you can sex them by sight.Havent males got stubbier tails?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Is that a proven fact its just ive been calling mine monty for the past 4 years.Is there anymore ways you can sex them by sight.Havent males got stubbier tails?
its females that are said to have smaller tails. But i think they say males are thin and long. Also a female will be at the higher end of the size 3'-6'.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Take it montys a heshe then.Well shes just over 4 foot and stocky so take its a female.Think ile just take it down the local repshop an get it probed.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
One way or another I'd get the royal probed by an experienced keeper to be on the safe side.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts