Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this will probably seem like a stupid question to all you who have had snakes for years, but is there any hints in the snakes shape that would give clues to whether its male or female. the guy i bought my corn from is going to probe her forme when she/he is a bit bigger, but my daughter got a corn today and its a totally differant shape.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I think in general, there are a few differences in corns:

Females get bigger and heavier.
Males tails stay thick for longer past the vent, as it contains his 'thingies' (I know the word but can't spell it :lol: ).

It's hard to be sure though, I thought mine was a male until I had it probed and he was a she.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my ones tail is very thin compared to the one she got today. we asked the guy and he said they were both hatched around the same time. in fact her new snake is heavier built all round. i know i will have to wait till he/she is probed but just thought there would be clues in the shape too. i called mine argo....i dinny fancy changing it to margo. no offence meant to anyone named margo btw.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If anything, I've heard it's generally the other way around with corns, brought about due to combat between males during the breeding season - the larger males get to pass on their genes more often leading to larger males, with size of breeding females not being so much of an issue.
Could well have been pretty much reversed by captive breeding though I suppose - larger females selected for higher no. of eggs and size of the male being unimportant.

Tail thickness and length is an indicator but ideally you need to have a confirmed male and female to compare against.

You can do a scale count on the shed skin - I've lost the figures but I'm sure someone on here will have them.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we could try that if anyone has the figures fora scale count. at what age or size should they be probed.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'll see if I can get hold of the scale count figures for you.

As for probing, some people probe them really young, but I wouldn't feel happy about having a corn of less than about 30" probed. Basically the bigger they are, the safer it is.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the guy in the shop said to take them in when they are around a year old. so will wait till then to have them probed. but would be interested to try other ways too,like the scale count etc.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hatchlings can be probed by someone who is experienced , no need to wait until they are a year old

Other methods are unreliable

John

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Can't seem to find the original figures for scale counts that I used (that counted both ventral and subcaudal scales), but this is similar. You count the amount of pairs of subcaudal (under the tail) scales from the vent to the tip of the tail:

Male would have 67-86 pairs, female would have 41-62 pairs.

I wouldn't have thought these figure are set in stone, but the higher it is the more chance it's a male, the lower it is, the more chance it's female.

Also, found this link - same thing really just explains the whole thing a bit better:
http://www.dksnakes.co.uk/a_beginners_guide_to_safe_ways_o.htm

Ignore the last paragraph!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Now got the figures I was talking about! Using a shed skin is easier unless the corn is incredibly calm...

Count the ventral (belly) scales down to the vent. Then count each pair of scales under the tail (subcaudal scales). Then subtract the tail scale count from the belly scale count. If the number is less than 154 then you most likely have a male. If the number is greater than 154 you most likely have a female. The farther away from 154, in either direction, the more confident you can be that the result is correct.

Ventral (belly) scales = 212
Subcaudal scales (under the tail) = 82
Difference = 130
less than 154: He is male

Ventral (belly) scales = 225
Subcaudal scales (under the tail) = 64
Difference = 161
more than 154: She is female

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
went on that website mark. think i might try thr brakepipe and mirror one first. lol! my daughters snake is about to shed, mine will be couple of weeks yet i think, but will try counting the scales, but i know probing is the best way. but will have to wait for shed cause mine moves around too much and the eyesight is not what it used to be. will let you all know. any other ways to give it a go while i am waiting.????

·
Registered
137 Posts
ive given up with even thinking about sexing mine,as long as there healthy i dont care lol.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I was fed up not knowing the sex of mine and needed to know for breeding... so got some probes and now can sex any snake that comes to me... never in doubt anymore :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
how old/big do they have to be to probe hun? i think id be a bit mifted if oscar turned out to be a girl lol.
x

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well ive got a set of probes.. one which can do hatchlings.. i cant pop otherwise id do that instead of probing..

·
Registered
137 Posts
i was thinking of taking my too to a shop to get sexed but you cant reley on most places,it would be intresting to find out.

id be a bit scared to probe mine just incase i did them an injury x

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Well if you were closer id do them for you.. but youre not near me really..

·
Registered
137 Posts
awww thank you hun,i can sex nearly all other animals as ive got a reputation of taking in unwanted animals,so i had to learn.so maybe its something i should think about learning hmmmm x

1 - 20 of 31 Posts