Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance, boas are not my hottest subject!
Apart from them being named after the original breeders, what is the difference between the two, price and colouring as adults etc?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Kahl's always look to me like there more of a washed out yellow colour, where as Sharp's seem to have more of a orangy colour. Think the kahl's start about £350 and about a hundred quid for the Sharp's!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kahl's always look to me like there more of a washed out yellow colour, where as Sharp's seem to have more of a orangy colour. Think the kahl's start about £350 and about a hundred quid for the Sharp's!

Really, £100 for a sharp's albino?!?! Cant say i've seen any around at that kind of price, point me in the right direction!!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Really, £100 for a sharp's albino?!?! Cant say i've seen any around at that kind of price, point me in the right direction!!
and me :gasp:
form an orderly q guys!

does seem the kahls and sharps are dipping in price but they havnt reached that low yet...sharps still around 350-500 for new borns

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
so would I hence why I used the :gasp: emote :lol2:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The main difference between Kahl and Sharp strain, is the incompatability. They are a different gene so breeding visual morph's from both strains together, would produce all het's for both strain.

The colouring varies; Sharp generally hold their colour better as Kahl fades as the snake matures. Saying that, i have seen some high contrast Kahl's and low contrast Sharps, with the Kahl looking better, so it all depends from snake to snake in many cases.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Im guessing he meant about £100 MORE for the Sharps as that would be about right.

·
Registered
791 Posts
That was supposed to say about a hundred more (than the kahl's) :blush:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The main difference between Kahl and Sharp strain, is the incompatability. They are a different gene so breeding visual morph's from both strains together, would produce all het's for both strain.
Does anyone know if this has ever been done? If so did the babies just look like normal boas? : victory:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yeah, I thought that too.

But how could you know which baby was het for which strain? There'd be no way to tell!
If both parents are visual, then they will take one gene from each parent, so would be het sharp and kahl, working on the same principal as if you put a visual albino to a normal. In that scenario all babies would be het albino as they would have one gene from each parent.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts