Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is finding handling his beardie a little difficult due to v sharp claws (beardie, not son!)

The beardie is very tame but obviously grips well. I cannot find any info on whether it is OK to clip the nails.

Anyone done it / got any idea?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
it is standard practice to trim monitors claws so i don't see that it would hurt a beardy..don't know how well they would take it though!! long as you don't trim too deep and hit the quick(central vein) the ends could be taken off...i tend to then file the claw lightly with an emery board as this takes off the rough edge...like i said though not sure bout beardies.. :) sure someone else could give you a definative answer...

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
dont see why not, u can do it with any animal as far as i know. and if u hit the vein their is stuff u can get for cats and dogs which stops the bleeding right away so u could get a bottle of that too just in case :D
i tried filing my boscs nails but he's hard to keep still long enough, beardies should be easier. i could try it on ours and let u know how it goes if u like lol?

i bought a dog nail filer for £2 from the local pet shop, it seems really good on the one nail i did of my bosc lol.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I cut all 6 of my beardies nails, I use a nail clipper, sit one on my lap and just nip the ends off as mentioned you don't want a bleed. Also once you've done it, Buy some slate and place it in the vivarium, it works wonders for keeping beardies nails trimmed.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
another trick which is useful if u dont like using substrate in ur beardies viv is to use bird sand sheets inside of newspaper or kitchen roll, this means that wen beardie is runnin around etc, it blunts the nails

1 - 6 of 6 Posts