Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my baby Legs (nelsons milk) hasnt shed properly even though i have done everything as normal (bathed him, raised the humidity of the viv , provided a hot soaking water bowl as well as his usual one and checked he has loads of stuff to scrape against) hes had this problem before but I've always managed to solve it but no matter what i try this time baths, damp pillow case/paper towel etc nothing seems to work! its been a while now and im starting to worry something might be wrong with him? he seems fine as he is still eating ok and as active as usual but is there anything you can recommend?
thanks in advance x

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
yes t-rex have done one but i think they dont do it anymore i am not sure :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
zoo med do a shedding aid http://reptilekeeping.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=66_103&products_id=1092

ive had trouble with one of my boas this time around, the only difference between my twos enclosure was the substrate! in one i had orchid bark (perfect shed) and the other i had wood chips (problematic shed), ive just warm misted my boa twice a day and his enclosure and it seems to be helping but sounds like your doing that and more.

hope you get it sorted

·
Registered
991 Posts
put him in a tub with very moist spaghnum moss and nothing else ( so he must lie on the moss ) put it on a heat mat and leave 24 hours. that should do the trick.

i have used this method with many different snakes and it has NEVER failed. trust me this will work :wink:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sounds like good advice to me - given long enough in a humid environment the skin can only soften, and the sphagnum will catch it and take it off as he moves around.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
yer i think i am going to keep that in mind should any of mine get a shed problem :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
ermmmm depending on the size of the snake a lunchbox shud surfice :D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
make sure you place breathing holes in the tub so it can breath too :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep I have already destroyed one lunchbox so i'll put Legs in it tomorrow an see how it goes...do i need to spray the moss regualarly or just when he first goes in?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What I do is wet the moss then wring out most of the water. Even in an accessible humid hide (one where theres a big hole on the side so they can come and go, as well as vent holes) it stays moist for about 2-4 days, depending on temp. So as long as it's on the wet side of damp (if you get what I mean) it'll last overnight easily.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had the same problem with my nelson's milksnake when I first got him. People suggested a lot of things to me. I was against using different shed ades and sprays for them even if they were proven safe. I ended up making this for it and now sheds in one nice complete shedding every time. Its not the prettiest wet hide but works very well. I just put wet aspen inside although using wet moss would work just as well if not better. I would highly consider this method considering we are dealing with the same species with the same problem.

·
Registered
551 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is that my snake likes it when I put the wet hide on the worm side of the tank and will tend to use it more often bofore sheddings.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what a great idea ill definately try that even though i might have to beautify it a bit :lol: im so glad im not the only one having this problem with this breed -a great looking snake by the way!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what a great idea ill definately try that even though i might have to beautify it a bit :lol: im so glad im not the only one having this problem with this breed a great looking snake by the way!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts