Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my house mates corn snake is shedding for the first time since he came home from the shop, he had been eating well, but regurged just bfore he started shedding, and a few days on, the skin is still attached.
A moss box has been placed in the viv, which is kept moist, but does not seem to have helped.
Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
give it a warm bath, the skin should come off, if not let the snake "run" through a wet towel and the roughness of the towel should get the skin off, or put the snake in a damp pillow case and leave it in the viv, cant think of any more ways atm, i'm sure some one else will.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Hi, not sure about the regurge thing, never happened to any of my snakes. For a shed in one piece, the best thing to do is when you notice the snake is in the beginning of their shed process, you should spray water on it once a day. Just by spraying water, it should be enough to get them to shed properly. As to the skin being still attached, it would be good if you could talk a little bit more about it.

Anyway, you should be able to peel the snake if you give it a warm bath, and do it gently. Just be careful with the eyes ... best think for their head is to use a moist cotton ball, and do it very gently.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry for not being to specific, the skin has shed in parts and not others, and the extra skin is really pale.

thanx for the advice, we re going to try thhe towel idea in the morning, will let you know how it goes..

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I had exactly the same problem a while back. I got hold of a tupperware tub, put several layers of kitchen roll on the bottom and then filled it with luke warm water to just below the height of the snake.

Left the snake in there for an hour and when i returned the remaining shed had all come off! Just remember to check the eye-caps to make sure they haven't been retained.

I also tried the damp pillow case method, but it didn't work for me. Good luck getting it sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.