Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a baby royal python,the shedding is going fine just around his head and a few inches past nothin is coming of yet.what is the process usually with one of these snakes?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
When they enter shed stage (their eyes go blue) start raising the humidity in the tank by spraying the substrate. You need it to be about 80% humidity. This will help with the shed a lot better.

Usually, after 5 days their eyes will return to normal and then they will shed about 2 or 3 days after that. But it varies from individual to individual as well as species to species.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Simon said:
When they enter shed stage (their eyes go blue) start raising the humidity in the tank by spraying the substrate. You need it to be about 80% humidity. This will help with the shed a lot better.

Usually, after 5 days their eyes will return to normal and then they will shed about 2 or 3 days after that. But it varies from individual to individual as well as species to species.
I'll echo that statement!

On a related question though once the snakes goes blue why does it return to normal for a few days before it sheds?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
When snakes shed, they release oil in between the old skin and the new skin. The blue eyes is the oil that we are able to see. The oil is absorbed after the initial stage which is why you can see the eyes again. once fully absorbed, the snake can shed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
so now you know,

i am always amazed at the things you find out reading other peoples threads.

NIce one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts