Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a little confused on how many times a year a baby beardie will shed its skin, my beardies have turned 9 weeks old yesterday lol and i got told of the bloke i bought them off that one of them had just finished shedding except for its legs (this is why it was a brighter colour than the other) so the past week the other has shed its skin except a little dot on its head (dont know if this will cause any harm) now the other this morning its whole head has started to shed again and its body has went a whole lot duller in colour but its head has came a brighter orange and red, is this normal and how many times should they shed, just worried if its something im doing wrong, just to let you know these are my first reptiles and do i need anything to help them shed because he seems a little scratchy and is always in the water, any help would be great, thanks mat

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
new beardies will shed quite often.lots of reptiles will when they are young.its a good sign though dont worry!!! im not great on beardies myself but i used to keep a couple when i was at college.i know baby geckos shed quite often,about every week or sometimes twise a week when they are little.

·
Registered
477 Posts
A nice warm bath :D lol.

If your beardie is having any kind of trouble shedding then bath him in louk warm water every day till he has shed completely or the other good alternative that most will recommend is to spray them every evening to keep the humidity to a resonable level for a short period of time. Enough so that after the first hour in the morning the moisture will be gone completely.

Cheers: victory:

·
Registered
846 Posts
as said before if your beardies are shedding regulary is a good thing its a sign they are healthy and growing well, they will shed loads over the next few months as they grow rapidly until they get to around 8-12months when they slow down slightly.
bathing helps soothe the beardie, its quite irritating to them bit like us peeling after sunburn you know that damm itchy period lol.
try placing a rock or piece of cork bark for them to rub up against to help remove the shed

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got some cork bark in the viv and they get sprayed every 12am since had them, havent given them a bath for the last 2 days, think thats going to be on the schedule tomorrow, thanks for the advice mat

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I don't think you'll find many weeks during the year that a baby/sub-adult is not shedding :lol: Mine are constantly shedding, first the back, then some head, back to the back, one leg then the other....

They all come off in sections and don't do complete full sheds like snakes for example. We generally give ours a good soak in a tub for 10 mins each week. Might not help them really with shedding but it does keep them hydrated!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just to let you all know ive managed to get the pics up on a different thread called "actually got them sorted"

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
one thing that i have noticed that no one has put on here, i know its a bit like common sense but is not to pull the shedded skin off, but brush it slightly with a soft brush, if its still stuck to the bd, DONT PULL IT, as said before its a bit like us when we see the sun (?) ie go red and then peel, if you pull a stuck bit, it hurts like hell and bleeds, if this does happen, put a small amount of iodine onto it and it will heal up ok

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to let you know i wouldnt pull the skin off because it lookes like its stuck and id always ask on here if i need any advice because these are my first reptile, thanks anyway for the advice to everyone your all a great help mat:)

p.s i didnt know anout the soft brush though, might give it a go if they have any trouble in the future

1 - 10 of 10 Posts