Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a stinkpot/musk turtle about 15 months old and when I got him/her (not sure if its a him or a her) :gasp: its shell seemed a little weird.
It has kind of a dent in it and hasn't been growing as I expected it to, I also got a razor back turtle at the same time from the same pet store that told me they were almost the same age (both babies) and the razor back has grown ALOT compared to the musk.

The musk turtles belly (not sure of the correct term for its belly) was sticking out a little more than what I had seen on pictures of other musk turtles.

I thought it wasn't a problem and that when it grew it would just even out but it has got even worse! I'm now really worried that it has a real problem and I need some advice on what it could be.

Here are a couple pictures of my musk for you to see.
(I will get some better ones if needed later, just let me know)

And another

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
A musk should have a ridge at the top and as the get bigger it flattens out and the shell becomes quite dome like, but it shouldn't have a dent in the top like that and unless I'm not seeing the pictures correctly it's bottom of the shell should be flat.

It could just be a case of wonky scutes and perhaps not as bad as it looks in the picture. Or it could be a sign of MBD. Is the shell soft and pliable at all?

If it isn't growing I would look to separate it from the other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A musk should have a ridge at the top and as the get bigger it flattens out and the shell becomes quite dome like, but it shouldn't have a dent in the top like that and unless I'm not seeing the pictures correctly it's bottom of the shell should be flat.

It could just be a case of wonky scutes and perhaps not as bad as it looks in the picture. Or it could be a sign of MBD. Is the shell soft and pliable at all?

Hi and thanks for the speedy reply!

These are the first turtles I have owned so maybe it's something I have done wrong :bash: (I hope it isn't.)

I will get him out of the tank later and check his shell a bit more to see if it is soft. Will it hurt him if i push on his shell at all? Also his belly does stick out alot to the point where when he is out of water he can barely walk as his belly scrapes along the ground.... (when I bought him his belly was already like that)

Both turtles seem to get along fine and never fight over food or anything that I have seen. To be honest I think the musk is the boss of the tank if anything lol.

I will upload better pictures of him too, in order for you to get a better look at him.

Oh and here is my razor back turtle looking great.

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
this is of great concern.

you need to get professional help for this little chap.

I doubt that it is a genetic deformity, my gut feeling is Calcium related MBD.

see a vet

then you must check the diet and UVB provision of your system,

john

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is of great concern.

you need to get professional help for this little chap.

I doubt that it is a genetic deformity, my gut feeling is Calcium related MBD.

see a vet

then you must check the diet and UVB provision of your system,
john
Dam, now I'm worried, I have all the correct lighting and setup for both of these turtles as far as I know.

I done a hell of a lot of research before I got these two turtles as my biggest fear was not looking after them properly... As I have said before, the musk did come to me looking as he does now but about half the size.

Also my razor back seems perfectly fine and they are both in the same setup, I would also like to say that both are happy and active, except for the musks shell looking a bit deformed.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice.

I'm at work right now but will sort things out when I get home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok had a chance to check his shell a bit more and its solid! no soft or pliable bits.

Also here are a few more better pictures of him for you guys to look at;

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
Your choice of course, but something is really not right here!

I have seen it many times before, if the parents were defiant they therefore only pass on what they have through the egg, that is one issue. Non wild indexes of light or dietary deficiency makes it worse.

There are some bacterial problems that when very advanced look similar

Damage from restriction or squashing can also look similar

The truth is we will never know until bloods are taken and an X-Ray done

If it is nothing then all well and good, if it needs treatment then you can start that or take advice

But is really not right

Ok had a chance to check his shell a bit more and its solid! no soft or pliable bits.

Also here are a few more better pictures of him for you guys to look at;

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your choice of course, but something is really not right here!

I have seen it many times before, if the parents were defiant they therefore only pass on what they have through the egg, that is one issue. Non wild indexes of light or dietary deficiency makes it worse.

There are some bacterial problems that when very advanced look similar

Damage from restriction or squashing can also look similar

The truth is we will never know until bloods are taken and an X-Ray done

If it is nothing then all well and good, if it needs treatment then you can start that or take advice

But is really not right
Well I just got off the phone to a vets that specialize in reptiles and they have told me that its going to cost £300+ to get him seen and have x-rays and blood test....:gasp:
Sorry to say but I can't afford that..

Now I don't need you guys to tell me how much of a bad owner I am! I feel bad enough as it is.

Maybe someone can addopt him and give him the help he needs, I don't want to give him away but if its what's best for him then I have no choice.

I know its a long shot to expect someone to take him on with his problems but you never know who is reading these things.

I will probably never return here as I hang my head in shame.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I don't keep turtles, just tortoises, but wonder if the previous keeper kept them out of water too much! Combined with lack of calcium/uvb you would expect to see some shell deformity. As John says, you certainly need to get this little guy to a vet ASAP. He could be suffering, so needs to be checked for problems. MBD is a very painful condition :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts