Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
31,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been looking on the shelled section and boy I'm glad I keep snakes. Snake, lizzard and spider people are a lot more friendly, helpful and not as oppinionated.
This is not a dig just an observation

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
people take their torts and how to keep them very seriously
they mainly get the hump when someone asks advice then wont take it because they don't want to spend more money.

I agree though, it can sometimes feel quite......hostile

·
Registered
787 Posts
people take their torts and how to keep them very seriously
they mainly get the hump when someone asks advice then wont take it because they don't want to spend more money.

I agree though, it can sometimes feel quite......hostile
Hostile, my retic is friendlier.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I do quite like the tort section though, it makes my brain work?
I know pretty much nothing about torts so I'm always confused about them and have to ask really stupid q's that they all take great pleasure in answering for me.:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
I must say, a few times i've been abit shocked at how 'some' of the turtle people jump down peoples throats or have a go over small things.

I know we all care about our pets and want the best for them but to have a go at somone whos asking advice is wierd. Its why there asking ! :lol2:

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
i knew a turtle guy years ago. he had dozens and dozens of turtles. he was odd. then just recently i saw a documentary of a turtle guy who spent like a million dollars on turtles then he had to give it up. he travelrd the nation giving his turtles to people he trusted. it was bizzar. nothing wrong with people who like turtles but there are a few eccentrics out there. but, you know, it's good to have passion...so few people today do..

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
i knew a turtle guy years ago. he had dozens and dozens of turtles. he was odd. then just recently i saw a documentary of a turtle guy who spent like a million dollars on turtles then he had to give it up. he travelrd the nation giving his turtles to people he trusted. it was bizzar. nothing wrong with people who like turtles but there are a few eccentrics out there. but, you know, it's good to have passion...so few people today do..
yeah thats sounds very strange but you get odd people who keep all sorts.
My mams friends barking mad, with her its cats :bash:

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
i worked here in a reptile store. you should have seen the people that would walk through the door!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Lol its not safe to stroll through the shelled section by yourself! for a laugh you should start a new post that goes something like this:

NEW LEOPARD TORT!

Hi guys I bought my new leo tort today and hes getting settled into his new viv!!! Hes a bit shy but he came out for a while to eat his cat food i bought for him.

I plan on letting him out in the garden so im going to make a small hole in his shell so I can thread a rope in it so he cant run off. I will post up some pics ASAP!

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
we're not all that bad.

some people yes, could phrase things a little better.

But not everyone is so bad. i offer advice n i dont have a go for one. i question choices n welcome debates though (nt arguments which is what it always turns into)

but some people it seems just post to piss some of them off.

n wheras i'd ignore it, people usually rise to the bait n a fight ensues

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Lol its not safe to stroll through the shelled section by yourself! for a laugh you should start a new post that goes something like this:

NEW LEOPARD TORT!

Hi guys I bought my new leo tort today and hes getting settled into his new viv!!! Hes a bit shy but he came out for a while to eat his cat food i bought for him.

I plan on letting him out in the garden so im going to make a small hole in his shell so I can thread a rope in it so he cant run off. I will post up some pics ASAP!
:lol2::lol2::lol2::no1::lol2::lol2::lol2:

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
it's been done before.

or people posting with

'i want to buy tortoise eggs so i can raise my own.i've done chickens before but cnt find tortoise eggs anywhere'

tbh i think people who post crap like taht are as bad as the people who are seemingly jumping down people s throats. most of the time ithink alot of it is misunderstanding.

its very hard to gage the tone in which something is intended on a forum

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
it's been done before.

or people posting with

'i want to buy tortoise eggs so i can raise my own.i've done chickens before but cnt find tortoise eggs anywhere'

tbh i think people who post crap like taht are as bad as the people who are seemingly jumping down people s throats. most of the time ithink alot of it is misunderstanding.

its very hard to gage the tone in which something is intended on a forum
Yeah I know what you mean, I think the problem is you tend to get 2 types of tortoise people. most are great keepers who look after them as they should. The others keep them in vivs feed them a diet of fruit and veg and so on...

Torts are hard work! most people think they are the kinda pet that sits in the garden and looks after itself but they couldn't be more wrong!

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
exactley. even outdoor enclosures have to be designed verrry carefully n to meet the individual tortoises requirements.

I think if more people posted in the shelled section it would calm down. wheras, as it is it seems like only a few people are fightin the corner of proper tort care.n they can get defensive admiteedly sometimes.
but like i say alot of people post crap to get their backs up, so how are they supposed to know when someones being serious or not?

I also think people who ask for advice are too sensitive.you can't expect to be told that you're perfect in every respect..critisism is a good thing < thats how i've always seen it. even when i joined up. i listened to everythin everyone said n took it on bored..peoples problems come, i think at least partly from a 'iknow best' attitude

1 - 20 of 91 Posts