Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says really, if you have added extra floor space, would you mind sticking up some pictures? Curious to see how people mount, how much support used, and what percentage of viv covered, that kind of thing. Thinking of adding to my vivs. Cheers in advance for replies.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Just like the title says really, if you have added extra floor space, would you mind sticking up some pictures? Curious to see how people mount, how much support used, and what percentage of viv covered, that kind of thing. Thinking of adding to my vivs. Cheers in advance for replies.
What snakes is it for? I never bothered with shelves as ground species don't climb too much and arboreal stuff spend most of their time elevated. Nothing wrong with putting a low branch or rock for the ground dwellers. A small floor space with loads of branches, and maybe a few shelves for the climbers. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
This is my boys branches and corner shelf he loved, now i've changed it for an even bigger branch but no pictures yet as i'm moving.

Rope one i was trying out, he enjoyed climbing it etc but ill be getting a more natural looking one (vine looking)

·
Registered
89 Posts
AHi it's kind of a crap pic but this is my viv for my carpet python with plenty of branches and a shelf on the right made with a piece of cork bark and a standard cheap shelf bracket (covered up with plants and a branch)

What I did for the branches was cut them to size and hold them where I want them in the viv.
Then draw around the ends with a pencil and remove the branch and drill a small hole in the middle of the pencil mark (from inside the viv).
Then hold the branch back in place and drill back through the hole from the outside into the branch (you might need 3 arms lol).
Then just screw with a washer from the outside in.
I hope that was easy to understand i find it awkward to explain lol

Sorry for the 1000 word essay : victory:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone,

Scoffa, they'll be for Simon my royal and Betty my boa. Both have branches from a bottom corner to top corner, not attached though just well placed so they don't fall over. I know they're both terrestrial species, but they both do use their climbing branches, just not as much or as well as the arboreal species. Simon (royal) used to always climb and sit in the various viv wires despite them being pinned up, making them sag and look untidy, so I've now enclosed all the wires in this d line stuff which put a stop to that. :)

Rogue665, he's a lovely looking chap, I noticed you don't have a support or anything for the shelf, apart from being attached to the viv itself. Any signs of it coming away with all of his weight on it? Also, what's holding the rope up?

Muskyturtle, haha, no I know exactly what you mean. Like your set up a lot, and may also do that as well as the corner shelves.

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
I use shelves in most of my vivs now. Haven't got full pics but here is an example of the boas ones. The vivs are 2ft wide and the shelf is 1ft wide and runs the full length of the viv. They use them everyday so I'm very glad I added them. I just used MDF (15mm I think it was) and covered it with some sticky back plastic stuff, like Fablon, but cheaper! I just used a few plastic shelving brackets from Ikea, 50p each.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
AHi it's kind of a crap pic but this is my viv for my carpet python with plenty of branches and a shelf on the right made with a piece of cork bark and a standard cheap shelf bracket (covered up with plants and a branch)

What I did for the branches was cut them to size and hold them where I want them in the viv.
Then draw around the ends with a pencil and remove the branch and drill a small hole in the middle of the pencil mark (from inside the viv).
Then hold the branch back in place and drill back through the hole from the outside into the branch (you might need 3 arms lol).
Then just screw with a washer from the outside in.
I hope that was easy to understand i find it awkward to explain lol
http://s304.photobucket.com/user/edwrds88/media/Mobile Uploads/1461867459767_zpsaan45uth.jpg.htmlimage
Sorry for the 1000 word essay : victory:

:mf_dribble: Mind telling me where you got the lush foliage? been looking for full ones like yours for ages. : victory:
stunning set up by the way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
:mf_dribble: Mind telling me where you got the lush foliage? been looking for full ones like yours for ages. : victory:
stunning set up by the way.
It's mostly from www.swellreptiles.co.uk and some of it just from shops I see when I'm out and about. A lot of them are really fake (like shiny and very obvious) but the exo terra ones look cool but cost loads of you want to cover A lot of space

·
Registered
866 Posts
Here are mine :2thumb:

Shelves and branches are held up with L brackets. The stick ledges were made from a bunch of hazel sticks drilled through, threaded with thick wire so I could bend it to an L shape and have all 4 legs to either screw into the ceiling (I curled the wire into a small loop that holds it). For the bottom viv, the stick ledge is attached by 2 sides with L brackets and then I have one long 'leg' of wire from the corner not next to a wall.

I one of my other vivs I have a divider that I used small joining blocks (plastic squares with holes for screws) to attach them with as they are much easier for big shelves that attach by 3 sides.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nessie's new viv, that she got for her 3rd birthday (also visible, the birthday card my mum got her!):

Apologies for the terrible photography, but the extra space items include:
Climbing tree at the back (not new but attached more securely and at less of an angle than before)
Shelf to right hand side (old pine shelf, heat treated and sanded with stainless steel poles epoxy resined into place as supports)
Bamboo hammock from left-hand-side ceiling

Like most hoggies she is very active even when not hungry, and has been using all the items except the hammock. She also has a sock that she loves but I have had to take it away as she becomes a bit obsessed! I had a lot of fun making these items and it does seem to be providing enrichment for her.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
some great looking set ups

so what wood is safe and cheap for this kind of thing (the flat shelf not the logs /branches) cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts

so what wood is safe and cheap for this kind of thing (the flat shelf not the logs /branches) cheers
You could use melamine coated chipboard (what normal house furniture is like draws and wardrobes etc) it's probably the easiest thing to get they sell small sheets of the board at wikes or at least I know they did before. Even like an old shelf or something I'd imagine would be fine. It's only the same stuff that vivariums are made of anyway

·
Registered
9,654 Posts

Just look at the images above.. plywood, melamine, what looks like bamboo / dowling... - all makes for ideal material for shelving

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You could use melamine coated chipboard (what normal house furniture is like draws and wardrobes etc) it's probably the easiest thing to get they sell small sheets of the board at wikes or at least I know they did before. Even like an old shelf or something I'd imagine would be fine. It's only the same stuff that vivariums are made of anyway
just not sure on the pine thing is pine part of furniture board but its ok as long as veneered?

·
Registered
206 Posts
On a related note, thank you to whoever advised me to make a humid hide for Nessie - she doesn't need full air humidity and, for the first week in the new set-up, didn't seem very interested in her wet moss box... until yesterday, when she stuffed herself into it, slept in it all night and looked out at me this morning as if to say: NO MAM NOT LEAVING BOX EVER THX
:2thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts