Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I have just started a new job in a pet store, and in january they are opening up a reptile/exotic animals section (which i get to manage yay me!) well I was just wondering what sorta stock you guys would wanna see if the store was opening near you (so to speak) The vivs have already been ordered (which I am not happy about as they are "state of the art" glass and ali with ceramic heaters) I think there are 36 in total consisting of 2 stacks of 3 tier vivs which will have 4 x 24"x15"x15" & 2 x 24"x15"x30" and 2 stacks of 4 tier 2 x 48"x15"x12" & 4 x 24"x15"x12" (not the best in the world but like I said out of my hands) the manager also wants stock which will sell (kind obvious but hey :D) so guys what do you think I should stock and what would you like to see ????? let me know :D

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Small / medium, slightly different, manageable species, in order of preferance:

Rosy Boas
Hognoses
Rainbow Boas
Garters (Red sided, San Fransisco)
Pines
Beauty Snakes
Carpets

Plus your normal selection on Royal, Corn, King and Milk morphs.

Where will you be based?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Might be worth getting a "demo" species. Have a cool looking animal not for sale just to get people interested. Caiman, big Iggy or Burmese.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I know this is a snake section, but some lizards wouldn't go a miss.

Not sure on species, but I had some green Anole's as a kid and they were great little lizards.

And terrapins are okay too. Not as popular as they used to be, but still pretty good.

You wanna check out some of the shops with sites.

My local is www.thereptileroom.co.uk

not all stock is listed, but it gives you a good idea. They're always busy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To Deano:
we are based in dorset I dont wanna be any more specific then that or I would feel like i was just advertising insted of asking opinions lol, I have thought about rainbow boas but i'm a bit worried about the humidity side of things with them being in glass tanks

To Simon: Trust me if I could have a caiman in store I would but the manager doesnt want any DWA's :( I'm trying my best to try and get a display animal but with only 4 4ft vivs its gonna be hard to win him over lol

To Carl24bpool: I have posted this in the lizards section as well to get some insight and thanks for the link I'm having a gander now :D

thank you everyone for the advice so far :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What about a False Water Cobra? Or GTP / ETB?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the idea, my local herp shop keeps all its small snakes/small yearlings/hatchlings in a wooden home make hatchling rack (glass sliding doors with heat mats at the back) in the hatchling tubs, i've seen him keep a FWC in there too (again in tub) would this be ok? cuz it seemed kinda mean I can understand hatchlings like that but like I said not sure about FWC.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
NORMAL Royals, CLASSIC Corns...Iv found it increasingly hard to see these in any shops I have been into lately...More the corns that the Royals but still. Also CB Royals, too many shops are selling CF to the uninformed.

I personally would like to see more Ratsnakes about, but not alot of people seem to like them if they are presented with a pretty multicoloured corn, or a Royal just because it is a Python etc. Also some species of Kingsnake other than a Cali. Spotted pythons, Carpets, Common Boas, Pine Snakes, Hognoses, Rosy Boas...etc etc etc

One thing I would like to see though...Is for a shop to completely abandon all the gimicky equipment. Calci sand...meh...Those dry foods for Bearded Dragons and monitors...and all other things like that, and stock proper things that people actually need, decent digital thermometers, none of those cheapo plastic dial and strip ones that are about as useful as cardboard boat.

THERMOSTATS ON DISPLAY IN THE TANKS. I hate it when you cannot see what the shop is using to control their tanks. It'd have to be somewhere where people cant touch it obviously, but still, I think it needs to be shown to people because it is such an important piece of equipment!

Theres lots more but my fingers are hurting now :lol:

Hope it all goes well for you :lol:

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
carl24bpool said:
I know this is a snake section, but some lizards wouldn't go a miss.

Not sure on species, but I had some green Anole's as a kid and they were great little lizards.

And terrapins are okay too. Not as popular as they used to be, but still pretty good.

You wanna check out some of the shops with sites.

My local is www.thereptileroom.co.uk

not all stock is listed, but it gives you a good idea. They're always busy.

Just noticed your local has alot of wc and cf animals :shock:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
scarlettvegetable said:
NORMAL Royals, CLASSIC Corns...Iv found it increasingly hard to see these in any shops I have been into lately...More the corns that the Royals but still. Also CB Royals, too many shops are selling CF to the uninformed.

I personally would like to see more Ratsnakes about, but not alot of people seem to like them if they are presented with a pretty multicoloured corn, or a Royal just because it is a Python etc. Also some species of Kingsnake other than a Cali. Spotted pythons, Carpets, Common Boas, Pine Snakes, Hognoses, Rosy Boas...etc etc etc

One thing I would like to see though...Is for a shop to completely abandon all the gimicky equipment. Calci sand...meh...Those dry foods for Bearded Dragons and monitors...and all other things like that, and stock proper things that people actually need, decent digital thermometers, none of those cheapo plastic dial and strip ones that are about as useful as cardboard boat.

THERMOSTATS ON DISPLAY IN THE TANKS. I hate it when you cannot see what the shop is using to control their tanks. It'd have to be somewhere where people cant touch it obviously, but still, I think it needs to be shown to people because it is such an important piece of equipment!

Theres lots more but my fingers are hurting now :lol:

Hope it all goes well for you :lol:
wow that was a long one :p Right I am completely against CF reps so unless I dont know about it I will only have CB's in the shop.
I agree about the corns/royals etc I'm not overly sure about the rat snake though it depends on out stockist tbh if I can get a few in I will I know that much :). I dont think I will be selling many morphs or any rep really, maybe the odd albino or anner but that will be about it, unless the manager says otherwise.
The gimicky stuff I dont think I have a say in lol, I do wanna stock decent digi thermometers (that way I get my discount on um as well lol) and as far as I know (fingers crossed anyway) the vivs come with thermostats already (will have to see on that) feel free to post more when your fingers are better lol :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DaveM said:
How about D.W.A animals, if possible, not many people own them but they aren't half nice to look at
If I could I would but chances are I cant lol

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
what is DWA

DWA is dangerous Wild Animals Licence which you have to have BEFORE you accquire your pet.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
i was going to keep a dwarf caimen years back and got the ok from the local councils(subject to rspca, vet, police and fire checks) but decided not to in the end

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Bog standard, bread and butter good pet reptiles 8)

Dont waste money getting in fancy morphs or anything that costs over about £150 max. In a brand new reptile section and an untested area you firstly have no customer base as yet and secondly do not even know if there is one to be had!

You will find that in your position, if you get things out of the ordinary or that make nice expensive looking at pets rather than good to handle easy to care for things, they will stay in the shop until they have well and truly made a loss ;)

Most importantly, stock animals that you know how to care for!!! and bring in one new species for you to have learnt about at a time :wink:

*Spoken as someone who has worked in trade for nearly 7.5 years ;) *

·
Registered
508 Posts
Perhaps Spiders & Scorpions too, just a selection of the usuals and a few of the more unusual ones ? Dont take up too much space & can be plastic tubs & stacked like in a hatchling rack :roll: okay just a suggestion as I love my incey wincey's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts