Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Haven't been on for.. quite a while.. Got a medium size Exo Terra gecko cave for my soon 4 month old leopard gecko.

After I got moss and the cave for Sushi, he's been sleeping in it all day long, and he still does. After he came out, I handled him for 1 min. as he only agrees for 1 minute, I felt his belly and it was freezing.

Before the cave, he was sleeping in his hot hide during day and he was pooping alright.
Several minutes ago, I measured temperature on his basking area, the grey rock was measuring 33-34°C, white little rock holding thermostat probe in place measured 35°C in middle of it and its sides measured 36 and 37°C.

I turned thermostat down to 32°C right after seeing the temperature. I thought that was too boiling for him, and thought if I should play with fire and keep changing thermostat input temp so the output would be cooler than 35 degrees but still around 35 so it's not too cool for him?

Generally, what I'm asking is if the temperature is causing him pooping issues. Ever since making the temperature be around 35, and him using better warmed up rocks, he was pooping fine with no issues at all. He only recently got problems pooping again. One day he pooped, then he did not poop for 2 days, then he pooped late, the next day he pooped, he did not poop yesterday and today.

It all started with him pooping later than usual. I gave him last 3 mealworms soaked in olive oil today for digestion and massaged his belly that is a bit harder than usual. If it does something, he was on only cricket diet, I was using banded brown crickets that were poorly gut loaded as they never ate much.

Or he's just has constipation tendencies. He also shed some days ago, found a little piece of gecko skin in his cave.

I'd appreciate anything, I deserve a beating for baking my gecko ;)

Also, sorry to bombard you with poop topics..

Many Thanks,
nishe

·
Registered
859 Posts
Should be worried about my little one or not?
In short. No you should not.

They don't poo every day. There's no need to monitor it so obsessively.

You haven't quoted the temps at the cool end so it is not possible to answer the question about temps as all the hot end ones are fine and high temps do not cause digestion/constipation issues.

Also don't massage his belly and feed him olive oil. Finally mealworms are actually more of a cause of impaction than pretty much anything else so don't offer them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! :) But technically, he did have a hard time pooping as there was a long smudge suggesting he was trying to get off his poo off.

He did poo every day.

Cool end is 25 to 27°C. Forgot to mention, I'm too tired lol.

He was only on mealworms before I got crickets and there were no issues at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh okay, stopped worrying now. Thank you :)

I did order some mealies for him almost a week ago and they still haven't arrived. I also ordered a small dubia roach colony and will want to breed those so he will be mainly fed them. I'm out of food for him currently.

Like, what's up with mealies? Most people never had any issues with them?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

I did order some mealies for him almost a week ago and they still haven't arrived. I also ordered a small dubia roach colony and will want to breed those so he will be mainly fed them. I'm out of food for him currently.

Hi, mealworms are perfectly fine/safe to offer, although they aren`t the most nourishing of prey items. I think many keepers believe they cause digestion problems because of the chitin they contain, but an adult cricket has even more.
One more complete myth is that mealworms eat their way out of the lizard`s stomach.
How are you measuring the basking surface temp?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly, hence why I got so confused.

The myth of mealies eating their way out of the animals body is directed at super worms since they are fairly strong.

I use an IR gun to measure temp, I also use a small thermometer with a probe ^^

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it’s because they’re not the most nutritious compared to other feeder insects, and that they may be harder to digest. Mine is nearly 3 months old, she gets offered mainly crickets and small locusts, and she loves them. Whenever I do offer her a mealworm, she ignores it completely and goes for the crickets/locusts :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it’s because they’re not the most nutritious compared to other feeder insects, and that they may be harder to digest. Mine is nearly 3 months old, she gets offered mainly crickets and small locusts, and she loves them. Whenever I do offer her a mealworm, she ignores it completely and goes for the crickets/locusts :)
Aww she sounds cute :) I ordered mealies for Sushi a week ago and still didn't receive them. I wonder if I will receive them still actually. I will be breeding Dubias and feeding only them to my little one. I've heard they are very nutritious. I received my starter colony today! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aww she sounds cute :) I ordered mealies for Sushi a week ago and still didn't receive them. I wonder if I will receive them still actually. I will be breeding Dubias and feeding only them to my little one. I've heard they are very nutritious. I received my starter colony today! :D
Sushi, love the name 😂 that sounds good! Dubias are very good, I know they’re high in protein. I’m gonna try my baby on them soon. I’d like to be able to breed my own feeder insects too, although I’d probably run out of space to keep everything lol

·
Registered
859 Posts

the reason why mealworms are not a good food source is because they are very very poor nutritionally. They are also very high in chitin so are quite hard to digest and have been seen to cause impaction in animals. No its nothing to do with them eating their way out of geckos, that is a load of rubbish.

I always found leopard geckos were the healthiest when fed locusts. Adults love 5th hoppers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sushi, love the name 😂 that sounds good! Dubias are very good, I know they’re high in protein. I’m gonna try my baby on them soon. I’d like to be able to breed my own feeder insects too, although I’d probably run out of space to keep everything lol
Thanks 😂 I tend to name my pets after different kinds of food lol.

Yup, dubias are healthy and a very good source of protein. When Sushi got 4 nymphs, he had the runs while I was sleeping. So there may be some issue.

I have no space in my room at all 😂

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the reason why mealworms are not a good food source is because they are very very poor nutritionally. They are also very high in chitin so are quite hard to digest and have been seen to cause impaction in animals. No its nothing to do with them eating their way out of geckos, that is a load of rubbish.

I always found leopard geckos were the healthiest when fed locusts. Adults love 5th hoppers.
Ah, that would make sense why my little one has trouble pooping recently. But he was fed mainly crix, so I dunno why he's got tummy trouble. Once, I get my dubia colony established, he will be mainly fed dubias, with waxies every 2 or 3 weeks and once every 2 or so month I will try to get hoppers and another box for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah, that would make sense why my little one has trouble pooping recently. But he was fed mainly crix, so I dunno why he's got tummy trouble. Once, I get my dubia colony established, he will be mainly fed dubias, with waxies every 2 or 3 weeks and once every 2 or so month I will try to get hoppers and another box for them.
Just another thing maybe I should mention, I read that babies are likely to get looser stomachs when their feeder insects are dusted or when supplements are switched. My baby gets calcium every other feed and EarthPro A vitamin supplement every 3-4 feeds, I notice her poop often gets a little loose when I switch and give her EarthPro A. Maybe check her poop the day after you’ve dusted the insects to see if he/she has had any trouble?
But altogether I really don’t think you have any reason to worry, from what I’ve seen, inconsistency with going to the toilet and runnier poop is pretty normal for babies

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still no poop :( He didn't poop before yesterday or even this night.

I dust his insects with Arcadia Earth Pro A since the day I had him which is 2 months in 5 days.

Are you sure it's normal for babies to have such problems? I gave him yesterday like 6 roaches and two mealies which should make him poop, but it didn't.

His belly is soft, not tender. He'll lay in his hot hide or under his driftwood. And very recently he basks less than usual, as if he misses warm rocks on purpose. Little, white square rock shot up to 41°C! That stupid thermostat over heats. I will be getting a HabiStat one in 13 days.

I honeslty don't know what to do. Didn't see him drink water recently too. Maybe should give him a warm water bath? And also encourage him to drink it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What if he won't poop after a week? I mean he is healthy, at least lookz to be, his tail is plump too. Felt his belly yesterday and it was soft.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright.

Oh good.. Oof.

Thanks you good people! I guess I would keep worrying for no reason about my little one. And if him being still young and if baby ones tend to have such issues every now and then, then I have no reason to worry about my baby. Thank you all once again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alright.

Oh good.. Oof.

Thanks you good people! I guess I would keep worrying for no reason about my little one. And if him being still young and if baby ones tend to have such issues every now and then, then I have no reason to worry about my baby. Thank you all once again!
Honestly you have no need to worry. I understand completely tho, I was the same to begin with lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts