Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two corns one Amel and one classic, I have had them since the 19th September they were housed together until the 13th of October and then separated.

I measured the classic for the first time on the 29th September, and he came in at 16.5", measured again today and he comes in at 17.3", so has grown an 8th of an inch in just over 3 weeks.

I got my scales a bit after the snakes and weighed the classic on the 13th October and came in at 17g, weighed today at 19g so has gained 2g in 9 days. He went blue 2 days ago for the 1st time. I presume this is good results

However with the Amel on the 29th September she measured 13.2" and now is 14.5" so has grown 1.2" in three weeks, slightly better than the classic in the same time.

The problem is on the 13th October she weighed in at 13g now she has dropped to 12g, a drop of 1g in 9 days. she did however shed 1 day after her initial weight in, could the 1g of loss be due to extra water retention for the shed?

They have both been eating well, get fresh water everyday, seen both drinking.

Temps are fine both ends 22.1-26 and 26-30. Average is 24 cold and 28.5 warm with drops overnight.

Records below.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Could she have done a big 'ole poo?

I'd keep observing for another week or so before you panic with nothing else looking wrong...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could she have done a big 'ole poo?

I'd keep observing for another week or so before you panic with nothing else looking wrong...

She did a medium sized poo on my living room carpet on the 16th (just looked it up on my pood on carpet again thread from the 15th :grin1: ) 2 days after initial weigh and again about 2 days ago.

Since her 1st weigh in, she has eaten 4 pinkies in 2 separate feeding's and shed, and pooed twice

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Shedding can take a lot out of a snake, it's quite an exhausting process so a drop in weight can be expected, although I don't weigh my snakes often enough to know how much they normally drop. Don't worry just yet, if the amel's eating fine just wait a bit and maybe weigh again after the next few feeds.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Wouldnt worry, as it is probably down to the shed and poo. I tend only to weigh my younger snakes monthly, unless I think there is a problem, and my older ones every few months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts