Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right i am really stuck on this one. i want a job with animals, i want to help them which its so funny that i wana join the RSPCA. i know how much shit they give us but surley il be helping animals....wouldnt i? my boss seems to think not, hes has been working with animals since he was born, 50 years (wont thank me for saying that) and he is so agaisnt them and me joining them, dont get me wrong, he is a nice boss,the best infact, he would never say sumthing like that just to keep me in the job but does what he say have any truth in it, would it be a really bad idea to work for them?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
why not mate

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
no one is hated that much

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I have never had anything to do with them but I cant see why people hate them so much?

G

·
0 Posts
I have 2 thoughts on this.

The first being go for it as they need all the help they can get with the animals and specifically reptiles.

The second is that if the RSPCA had their way no-one would be able to keep animals in this country anyway so what difference would it make.Although this would take a very long time to do if they ever managed it.The vets would be totally overrun with animals to humanely slaughter and the streets would be alive with pets that people could not afford to have destroyed by a vet.On this basis i say let the buggers get on with it themselves

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yeah that sounds about right dude.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I don't agree with everything they do or the way in which they do it but I must say they do a good job in some cases and if its what you really want to do then I say go for it mate. The worst than can happen is that you won't like it in which case you can leave.. But you never know, it could end up with you educating the staff about reps and it could have a knock on effect right across the RSPCA with regards to their views on Reptiles... You could even be peomoted and sent to other RSPCA locations to educate more staff on how best to deal with herps... Who knows.

Go for it mate, you never know what doors it will open up for you. Good luck if you do! 8)

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i've rescued two things from them now, a T and a tort, both were not kept in right conditions by them and i was givien totally wrong imformation form them about how to keep animals...the way they are with rep people i think is totally wrong but then nothing will ever change unless we get some rep people in the system to change there minds and hopefully improve things for reps and keepers... :D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just dont no,he is so adamently agaisnt them, everytime i ask y he never gives me a straight answer. i spose ur right tho, i could do it and if i dont like in then i just leave. sounds so simple, very few people actually get through to the training then even fewer actually pass

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I've got nothing against the RSPCA, I think they do a good overall job, however the things one needs to take into consideration when considering taking up a job into one of these organisations are:

1) am I up for the job ?
2) can I afford working for them ?

The reason I'm saying this is because about a couple of years ago I decided I was gonna work for Battersea Home dog, and went through the whole process. I applied for a manager position, at the end, after a lot of hassle, they offered me something like £ 20 K a year. Then I gave up the idea, I've got a mortgage to pay, a family to support, etc, I was prepared to compromise a bit, but not that much.

When I say 'am I up for the job', it's purely because after watching a program about the training and selection to become a RSPCA carer, I realised I'd not have guts to do it, for the same reason I'd not be able to be a vet. I'm not good with blood, I'm not keen on dealing with animals going through a lot of suffering, etc. I'd not be able to put an animal to sleep, and if I went on a call to deal with animal torture, I'd probably kill the [email protected] who's mistreated the animal, and my career would be over.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
it's worth pointing out that the RSPCA are the countries single biggest campaigners to completely ban the hobby of Herpetology.It is thier view that NO reptiles should be allowed to be kept privately,and they are actively trying to get this enforced.If they ever get their way,none of us would be able to keep our animals legally.
in short,no!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
TBH Barry I don't think they'll ever manage to ban reptiles completely. They might very well get in licences but I'm not total opposed to that as it will stop certain people from getting one and throwing it away after a few months when they realise how much work it is....

There are lots of things to consider like how many there are now? How many people will give up there rep’s or dump them on the street? Captive breeding is another issue, and the resources the RSPCA/Police will need to enforce a ban? You will find that people breed there own mice/rats badly. It could end up being a whole bigger issue if they ban Herpology totally….

Anyway on the subject of joining the RSPCA there are a few things to remember…. They pay is crap! Your training is pretty much like joining the army but with old people who think they know everything. Once you qualify you can be shipped ANYWHERE in the UK and you have to stay there for 3 years before you can apply for others jobs…

I don’t know this first hand but I know someone whos gone through it. She hated the training and the people training her didn’t like her either. They done there very best to make it uncomfortable even though she had the best marks all the way through her training. Even then they said she was lazy and she’d be the last one out of the door each day….

I think the RSPCA needs some new blood if anything. They do a job, just not a very good job when it comes to rep’s hence we don’t like um! From what I’ve heard it needs a large injection of youth… If you wanna do it go for it! Just be under no illusions it will be hard

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
these are the things i have been tinking about. the money is crap and i too am hoping to have a morgage soon. it just seems there is no job with animals that is pay well. in fact my job that i was doin with animals is probley the only one that does pay well, but i am just unable to go back there...o decisions decisions. i also would like to work in a zoo but again the money is crap and it seems impossible to get into.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
barrym said:
it's worth pointing out that the RSPCA are the countries single biggest campaigners to completely ban the hobby of Herpetology.
If they are, they are doing a pretty bad job at it, because I've never read or seen any of their campaings :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts