Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should I start the cooling period for my brb's?

I have just purchased a breeding trio of brb's 2 males of which are big adults and a female of smaller size, and have a 2 year old female of my own from before, not complete adult. I have purchased the lot about 2 weeks ago, the female in the trio is smaller than the one I have gotten before, should I maybe leave them separate this winter and start cooling period and introduce the 2 males to both females? or how do I go about the whole snake introduction bit for breeding? Can I put all four snakes in together after warming up.

They are still in the process of settling in and will be moved once again in a few weeks when their new vivs arrive so they will be pretty out of place.

Would it be best if I just wait another year?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Are you sure both females are of adequate weight and age for bearing young? Thats the most important consideration. Breeding in males is relatively less risk, because its less physically demanding, but if a female isn't mature enough for breeding it can be very risky. A female should be 2.5 yrs old, approx 5ft long and over 3 lbs in weight, ideally add an extra half foot in length and an extra lb in weight to be sure. The better condition the female, the more successful the breeding attempt and recovery. Definitely don't put all four in together. The males could/most likely will end up fighting if the female indeed is ready for breeding, which could result in injury to your snakes.

Usually, you'd prepare them with a brumation period prior to breeding, and introduce a male to a female, always male into female's viv. Some folk leave them together for a period of 3-7 days, to attempt to observe copulation. Once female shows disinterest or mating appears to cease, remove the male. You are then on the watch for the female shedding to indicate ovulation, usually within 30+ days. There is no harm in introducing the other male after the first has been removed and allowing breeding to continue again. This could increase your chances of a successful breeding. Gestation is about 115-135 days and litters are of 10-30. I'd probably wait until next year to be sure, for the sake of your females. Hope this helps and good luck! : victory:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best leave it till next year then so.

How often can/will they breed?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Breeding season, I've been advised, is Autumn to Spring time, when you can cool and reintroduce them, best not to offer food during this time, and you'll probably find the males a little restless. Apparently, if they're on the lean side, their sperm is healthier than say a slightly overweight/well fed male. As for breeding attempts, I don't think there is a set number of times, maybe one male, one week, then a week rest, then next male or same male again? Just give the female time for a little peace as males can be persistent (don't we know it??):lol2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts