Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says!

Looking at getting a small breed of dog but unsure of what breed!

Tell me what your dog is like with people and other animals:2thumb:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
why not decide what breed you are interested in first? I have small dogs, but how mine are with people and other animals will be down to how they are reared and trained. A dozen chihuahua owners might tell you that they are shy/outgoing/friendly/timid/snappy/yappy/calm/love kids/hate kids/chase livestock/are stock steady.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like chihuahua's, pugs, french bulldogs, british bulldogs as they are a few I have seen but wanted to see what other breeds are out there.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I like chihuahua's, pugs, french bulldogs, british bulldogs as they are a few I have seen but wanted to see what other breeds are out there.
I wouldn't class bulldogs as 'small'.
What are you looking for in a dog? Coat length, amount of activity levels, colour? You must have some idea.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Go to a rehoming centre and tell them your circumstances and what you want and get the perfect dog, rather than the perfect breed.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts

French and british bulldogs are far from 'small' dogs though.

I have a min pin he is lovely once you get to know him, or him you, he's nervous of men but this could be as he is a rescue. Once he knows a bloke, it takes about 20 minutes, he's in love again. He's a fantastic guard dog. Loves kids and cats. Well behaved off lead but as stubborn as hell. He's the boss over our OTB, Rottie and Staff. They know not to go near his dish although they share theirs.
He is exactly what they say a min pin is like.

Here he is 'Stan the Man'.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
I suppose it's whoevers idea of small to be honest,.
I think Marks dog would be medium sized dog. I class chi's min pins, min poodles, poms and hte like as small dogs and anything bigger as a medium or larger dog.

Mind you I also class my rottie and OTB as medium sized dogs!!!!!:bash::bash:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I suppose it's whoevers idea of small to be honest,.
I think Marks dog would be medium sized dog. I class chi's min pins, min poodles, poms and hte like as small dogs and anything bigger as a medium or larger dog.

Mind you I also class my rottie and OTB as medium sized dogs!!!!!:bash::bash:
I class my chi's etc as 'tinies', lhasas,cockers, etc as small, springers, labs as medium, rotties , GSD as large and Ursa, Danes etc as giants.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

Heres emmy, my shihtzu and my friend chi,
Not to keen on the size of chi's although there cute and all,
Emmy is just perfect size for me and were i live, she is also sooo friendly loves kids, loves anybody, she is also very protective of me an my little boy, she sleeps at his bedroom door at night, she can tell if i feel uneasy with certtain people approaching me like the nutter next door emmy will sit on my feet and growl :lol2:
Shihtzu's are by far the Best small breed! i have met loads and there all fab :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't class bulldogs as 'small'.
What are you looking for in a dog? Coat length, amount of activity levels, colour? You must have some idea.
I class small dogs smaller than a lab, collie etc.

would like a short haired dog, activity levels well me and my partner love walking so talking on long walks is not a problem, colour either colours isnt an issue but not so keen on all white dogs.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Miniature Yorkshire Terrier, she is smaller than a cat lol
very good with people and very protective of her owner and likes to act like a guard dog haha. I would recommend this breed if you're after a small dog, very few problems with health issues and a long life span :) also she is good around our other dogs.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Heres emmy, my shihtzu and my friend chi,
Not to keen on the size of chi's although there cute and all,
Emmy is just perfect size for me and were i live, she is also sooo friendly loves kids, loves anybody, she is also very protective of me an my little boy, she sleeps at his bedroom door at night, she can tell if i feel uneasy with certtain people approaching me like the nutter next door emmy will sit on my feet and growl :lol2:
Shihtzu's are by far the Best small breed! i have met loads and there all fab :2thumb:

chi is adorable :no1: I really like chihuahua's my partner is not so keen on them though that is why id like to find a dog suitable for us both.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts