Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

On Friday I bought a pair [1.1] Kenyan rock agamas (Agama lionatus), and over the weekend they've been settling in quite nicely [eating/passing waste], however they spend a vast amount of time in the hide and I've only seen them out of it once of their own accord. I'm wondering if this is normal, and maybe they're just shy of their new home at the moment.

I've given them privacy from the other reptiles by placing a board over half of the front of the viv [heat end], and I'm going to get some more plants/climbing things tomorrow. Just a bit nervous about their lack of activity compared to when they were in the shop, and wondering [perhaps daftly] if something is wrong.

Heat and UV shouldn't be a problem as I'm using the bulbs I was advised to, and I believe they're the same type as the ones used in the shop. They had no actual hide in the shop, but could easily hide themselves. However he spent all of his time displaying to her and mating her.

Can the inactivity just be from the move?

Kind regards.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to bump this so early, but any advice is appreciated as I'm off to get my weekly pet supplies tomorrow, so will be my chance to buy anything that people think may help, I'm looking at some fake viv plants and a reptile branch or two so that the agamas can get a little closer to the heat bulb :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick last check, any advice before I go out?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
id try and kit it out like you would agama agama really. there aint a lot off info on these guys at all but that would be my best bet: victory:

oh yeah pics pics pics pleaseeeeeee :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id try and kit it out like you would agama agama really. there aint a lot off info on these guys at all but that would be my best bet: victory:

oh yeah pics pics pics pleaseeeeeee :D
Not a problem, have got a few bits today [fake cactus, thermometers and 2 plants [oddly, they climb quite a bit] - will get some pics up later on :)

I was originally wanting a trio of Agama agama, but they weren't available from the wholesalers at the time so I opted for 1.1 Agama lionatus instead, and I will say I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Not a problem, have got a few bits today [fake cactus, thermometers and 2 plants [oddly, they climb quite a bit] - will get some pics up later on :)

I was originally wanting a trio of Agama agama, but they weren't available from the wholesalers at the time so I opted for 1.1 Agama lionatus instead, and I will say I'm glad I did.
aye agama agama like a wee climb aswell we have 2.1 for sale in my work and it kills me that i dont have the space for them or id of had a pair ages ago.

are they lionatus lionatus orlionatus eligonis both are awesome

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what ssp. they are I'm afraid, just told that they were Agama lionatus. I think they're both the same ssp. though as they've come from the same wholesaler.

I will try and get some pics up after I've added the new stuff to the viv :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi,

Can you post pics of set up and detail humidity/temperatures and all that kinda stuff? With regards to sub species I wouldn't worry about it too much the care will be the same and with these guys sub species will probably be defined by genetics/scale counts or some other minute detail that won't directly affect care (plus there's so little info available on telling Agama agama apart from A.lionotus that it seems odd to start worrying about their sub species?!)

These I'm assuming were WC? They will take time to settle down in their enclosure and as long as you keep an eye on them and make sure they're still eating I wouldn't worry about it for a week or two. Try offering a waxworm on the end of tongs to start taming them down a little and build this up to offering them stuff from your fingers. Do they appear to flee into the hide when you enter the room or just don't leave it ever?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi,

Can you post pics of set up and detail humidity/temperatures and all that kinda stuff? With regards to sub species I wouldn't worry about it too much the care will be the same and with these guys sub species will probably be defined by genetics/scale counts or some other minute detail that won't directly affect care (plus there's so little info available on telling Agama agama apart from A.lionotus that it seems odd to start worrying about their sub species?!)

These I'm assuming were WC? They will take time to settle down in their enclosure and as long as you keep an eye on them and make sure they're still eating I wouldn't worry about it for a week or two. Try offering a waxworm on the end of tongs to start taming them down a little and build this up to offering them stuff from your fingers. Do they appear to flee into the hide when you enter the room or just don't leave it ever?
Will get a picture up in a min, I haven't misted them so humidity should be low as it should only come off the water dish [I don't have a way to measure humidity at the moment] - will get the temps in a second.

I have no idea if WC/CF or CB, but I assume the former is the most likely as I don't know how readily available the species is CB. They are in the hide when I enter the room, I can't say if they leave it when I'm not in there but I do random checks on them.

My female took a [medium] locust this morning, the male didn't, though I have seen both eat.

My concern for what ssp. they are is for if/when I come to breed them [which I aim to do], obviously I want to avoid sub-specific hybrids if I can help it :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's an update with pics of the animals and set up:

1.1 Agama lionatus (female 'Zippy' on top and male 'Bungle' underneath). Just removed hide for photo and then put back.

Kenyan rock agama vivarium.

Temps are just over 30C at the basking end, around 25C at the cool end.

Reactions: kirky1980

·
Registered
160 Posts
Will get a picture up in a min, I haven't misted them so humidity should be low as it should only come off the water dish [I don't have a way to measure humidity at the moment] - will get the temps in a second.

I have no idea if WC/CF or CB, but I assume the former is the most likely as I don't know how readily available the species is CB. They are in the hide when I enter the room, I can't say if they leave it when I'm not in there but I do random checks on them.

My female took a [medium] locust this morning, the male didn't, though I have seen both eat.

My concern for what ssp. they are is for if/when I come to breed them [which I aim to do], obviously I want to avoid sub-specific hybrids if I can help it :)
They are almost definately WC :)

Try sitting in front of the viv quietly for a while (we're talking like 15minutes plus) to see if they come out?

I appreciate the wanting to keep the species/sub species the same it's a good thing to do but from my experience you would probably never get the i.d accurately down to sub species level without genetic work or very very precise data from the people who imported the lizards in the first place (Which isn't going to happen) especially as some of the similar species occur within the range of lionotus (maybe not in Kenya but in Tanzania etc). I would just be happy with the fact you have a pair of the same species as the females are even worse than the males to i.d!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are almost definately WC :)

Try sitting in front of the viv quietly for a while (we're talking like 15minutes plus) to see if they come out?

I appreciate the wanting to keep the species/sub species the same it's a good thing to do but from my experience you would probably never get the i.d accurately down to sub species level without genetic work or very very precise data from the people who imported the lizards in the first place (Which isn't going to happen) especially as some of the similar species occur within the range of lionotus (maybe not in Kenya but in Tanzania etc). I would just be happy with the fact you have a pair of the same species as the females are even worse than the males to i.d!!
Fair play - it will certainly be nice just to have a captive breeding going on. Another point I can't be sure of is if they're related.

Will start spending a bit more quiet time in there, I have a chair in there so won't be a problem to just sit in there with my music/headphones or a book :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have been observing a few times today, the female has spent most of the day out of the hide and I even caught the male basking at about 4pm for a while. I don't know if this is because they're a touch more settled now, due to the updates in the viv or just because I've been seeing them at the wrong time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just gave them a feed and whilst the female had half a locust hanging out the side of her mouth, the male thought it a good idea to try and bite the other half, needless to say he also accidentally bit her.

There's the tiniest of cuts that's drawn blood [doesn't look serious] and I'm keeping an eye on it over the next couple of days make sure it's healing/not infected. Have cleaned it with damp toilet roll and I think it should be ok, anything else I should do?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts