Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

please help went to viv this morning my beardie had poo-ed. ewww
but that is not the worse there are dead crickets that have been eaten covered in nasty slimy stuff but not sure what end they have come out off and if beardie has been sick. what do i do? please help soooo worried

many thanx

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I cant think what to suggest here as its never happened with me. Did you feed your beardie close to lights out time? I dont feed mine if theres less then 2 hours of daytime heating left. I think handling your beardie soon after feeding can make them sick too but if this was morning it wouldnt aply to whats happened with you.

How has she been since?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
if he was fed close to lights out he might not have been able to digest it causing him to be sick

·
Registered
37 Posts
i suggest feeding yewr beardie at least 1 hour after lights on and maximum 1 hour before before lights out.
hope all works out for you.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Yeh thats basically all it is..undigested food, coulda came out either end but more likely the bottom one.

If your beardie doesnt get his body temp up to the right level [high enough] or for long enough he may be unable to properly digest his foods...and its not like it can wait 4 hours then start to digest when warm is availably, itll move down and not be digested which is why its best not to handle atall straight after feeding [unless we are talking a couple mins, but even then a beardie can get distracted and forget he was going to bask]
And also the Hour each way rule applies for obvious and similar reasons, if too cold when eat still may not warm up in time to digest, or even may not have energy to safely swallow, and no less than an hour before lights go off cos sgain, the time needed to digest.

Might sound liek a hastle but isnt really atall, and im sure it didnt warrant a 3 page explanation ,sorry/
Anyway nothing to worry about if it happens occasionally, nothin atall, just realsie what it was caused by and dont do it again.

Oh...THE OTHER POSSIBILITY is that the basking spot temp is to olow, same effect ,different means.
The lower the temps, longer it takes to get up to temp and more often beardie must return...

Dean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts