Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, need a little advice

Was called the other day about a womans leopard gecko. Got the full run down on history which goes like this:

She got it over a year ago from a pet shop over here in N.I.... All was going well until april of this year when she developed an absess on her tail which wouldn't heal until she took it to the vet got it cleaned and antibiotics. At the same time the vet gave a shot of calcium and gave her Baytril to put in the water ( although not sure what good the calcium was for as bone structure seems fine and Baytril in water I'd have though would have been impossible to dose right?)

Anyway apparently the Leo hasn't eaten properly since then and I got a call and went round on Tuesday.

The poor thing is just skin and bones, barely got eyes open and is very inactive. I got a little emergency feed into her and left it there so the owner could give some in morning and some at night. Just licking it off the fingers.

Shes been taking this but still refuses solid food outright.

I went round yesterday and after alot of effort she took the smallest pinkie mouse down. All went well she swallowed fine and was ok after I left ( this was 12 yesterday) the owner got up this morning to find the pinkie had been reguratated fully intact. No breakdown at all even though it had been in stomach for well over 12 hours!

Once again refusing solid foods and is inactive.

Anyone got any advice at all?

I'm all outta ideas and the vets an idiot.

Andy

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
hun if shes not eaten for a while something like a pinkie may hav shocked her system which is why she regurged...or her tummy may be real tender which culd be another reason,...this is gona sound gross, but try squeezin the insids out of a cpl of waxxies and get her to take em down, maybe even mix with a tinsy amount of water and syringe it

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i would keep going with emergency feeds (critical care formula at about 0.8 mls twice daily and i would try her on something more soft and palatable at first like a small waxie as their nice and full of fat, i certainely would not be attempting anything like a pinkie as thats a lot of digestion effort needed for a tiny leo who's digestions not been working for a while, i think tiny steps are whats needed here.... :)

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
Hey,

Really gross thing, When Obi was poorly a few years ago someone said the if you blend some veggies (not sure if gecks eat veg?) and some wax worms in a blender and syringe feed twice a day with the cric care stuff aswell.

Seemed to do the job! Bit gross though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts