Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother is soon to pick up all of the aforementioned snakes in the next couple of weeks. any keptone them before?any advice welcome, especially on the false water cobra.
cheers

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
First and foremost if your brother is in the UK (NI excluded) and does not hold a DWA license keeping some of these snakes is ILLEGAL.

The false water cobra (more accurately the Brazilian smooth snake - Hydrodynastes giga) however does not require a license. I have kept FWCs before (have 1 female now). Is your brother experienced with fast, aggressive potentially dangerous snakes?

FWCs are FAST. They are also well known for their aggresiveness (though my current female is reasonably calm) and an aggressive adult can be a big challenge.
They are rear fanged and mildly venomous, though their invenomation system is poor enough that they do not often cause serious harm.

As far as keeping goes an adult will require a 4x2x2 viv, but bigger is better for these active colubrids. They are almost always viv aggressive so a snake hook will be a useful tool! They require high humidity and a large water bowl as they soak for a large portion of the day. They require temps of around 80-82 F, I have found they become uncomfortable much above 85 F.

They are BIG eaters and have a crazy feeding response :lol:
If you require any more info please PM me, I'll be happy to talk more about my favourite snake :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info. hes in n.i as am i so dwa is not an issue, he'll get it when its needed (march i think). he's an experienced snake keeper but now wants to get into his 'hots'. starting out with mildly hot snakes first tho

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I might consider a FWC in the future... would be a very nice snake to have.. As long as they don't decide it should go on the DWA list mind!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
It aint gonna happen Gaz.. the current review is proposing the removal of some rear fanged stuff like the mangrove, montpellier and sand snakes so it would be HIGHLY unlikely for them to add a rear fanged that has previously been unregulated. A friend at DEFRA reckons there has not yet been any suggestion to out the fwc on the DWA list.

I will probably get my DWA for montpelliers if they dont remove them in the review thoughm, so it wont make too much difference to me.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
They do have a bit of a "look" at it, but theyre overhauling it now to fall in line with the animal welfare bill. You know what these things are like though, it will take forever to get anything done! :lol:

By the way, come talk to me next year and I may have some bubbah FWCs - forum discount :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
PendleHog said:
By the way, come talk to me next year and I may have some bubbah FWCs - forum discount :wink:
That I may keep in mind :wink: Do you do discounted hoggies as well?? :lol: I'm setting up a full rep' room once I've moved into my house and already planning what I really really want to get in it 8)

·
Registered
324 Posts
PendleHog said:
I can vouch for that! I recieved my first snake bite from a FWC... damn thing was two quick and it also taught me a lesson to never hold a feeding mouse in my hands before feeding...

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
andysharpe said:
PendleHog said:
I can vouch for that! I recieved my first snake bite from a FWC... damn thing was two quick and it also taught me a lesson to never hold a feeding mouse in my hands before feeding...
Busted!!! :lol: Think I'd like to start with a juvi....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah do mate, i handled a juvi FWC and it was terrific fun mate! They're really agile adn you have to be on your guard that they don't run offon you you're hadnling them but they calm down well quick and can be like the cuddley corn snake soon enoguh! But they don't share food! IN saying that it is not unheard of of having a FWC displaying a royal pythonesque hunger strike but never anything serious with FWC. And some of them will stay ill tempered all their lives so one must handle the FWC before thinking of purchase...

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
andysharpe said:
Yeah do mate, i handled a juvi FWC and it was terrific fun mate! They're really agile adn you have to be on your guard that they don't run offon you you're hadnling them but they calm down well quick and can be like the cuddley corn snake soon enoguh! But they don't share food! IN saying that it is not unheard of of having a FWC displaying a royal pythonesque hunger strike but never anything serious with FWC. And some of them will stay ill tempered all their lives so one must handle the FWC before thinking of purchase...
I wonder where I could do that????? Hmmmmm :roll:

TBH I think as long as most snakes are cared for in teh correct way and you have interaction with them from a very young age most don't have a problem with being handled...

·
Registered
324 Posts
welshgaz said:
andysharpe said:

TBH I think as long as most snakes are cared for in teh correct way and you have interaction with them from a very young age most don't have a problem with being handled...
Sorry mate thats a bit naive to expect from all types of snakes... Corns and royal are pussy cats but no venomous snakes can be tamed mate, and some FWC can never be tamed, as many people will agree... And would you snuggle a cobra from young age? No vipers or elapids can be tamed mate... But FWC are colubrids and also are easly tameable, with some exceptions.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
andysharpe said:
welshgaz said:
andysharpe said:

Sorry mate thats a bit naive to expect from all types of snakes... Corns and royal are pussy cats but no venomous snakes can be tamed mate, and some FWC can never be tamed, as many people will agree... And would you snuggle a cobra from young age? No vipers or elapids can be tamed mate... But FWC are colubrids and also are easly tameable, with some exceptions.
thats why I said most snakes! I wasn't referring to hots.... and i've found a few people offering juvi's

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
europian adder (Vipera berus) is illegal to keep in uk i believe...well wild caught ones
i added latin too represent ones found in uk which are classed as europian adders

side winder a licence is deffo needed as its a rattler

an false water cobra is rear fanged, an not on licence, however i herd a licence will be needed to keep them soonish so you will wanna look into that...don know if its true or not though

hope that helps u

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
jus a coment tom people who think venomous snakes cant be handled an tamed....i believe they can, and i have seen a guy handleing a king cobra with his childeren, he was a villager and tamed it to sell his bark or somethin, sayin that the bark when put on a fire will calm cobras....this is obviusly a load of crap however he had this cobra out an was fine with it....

however i'm not sain its a clever thing to do, jus sayin what i saw....was on national geographic in 2002

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
exactly not that I would recommend anyone handle any hot tbh... If your smart enough and experienced enough to keep hots your not stupid enough to assume they can be handled!

Your always going to get snakes that will never ever tame and that goes for corns, royals, common boas etc....

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
serpentkid100 said:
europian adder (Vipera berus) is illegal to keep in uk i believe...well wild caught ones
i added latin too represent ones found in uk which are classed as europian adders

side winder a licence is deffo needed as its a rattler

an false water cobra is rear fanged, an not on licence, however i herd a licence will be needed to keep them soonish so you will wanna look into that...don know if its true or not though

hope that helps u

yeah im pretty sure you cant keep adders either, even with a dwa licence. They are protected species and can only be kept by approved people in breeding programs. Im sure thats still the case

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i agree i got a hognose for xmas....but its way 2 agro for me, so i'm goin 2 take it back rather than keepin it....its really phyco....strikes with mouth open rather than headbuttin....i tink the shop may have pissed with it to make it hiss an act like a cobra....i hate the idea of takin it back but i tink its best....put the money 2 a better corse...another corn i guess lol

wanna breed

1 - 20 of 50 Posts